Neurology Expert Forum
What is a pars interarticularis fracture?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What is a pars interaticularis fracture?
  How is this caused?
  Is this a painful type fracture?
  Does it ever completely heal?  Over time would you still have pain?
  I have been having a lot of pain in my lower right side of my back and the exray showed a fracture. It seems like it is taking a long time to heal. From what I have been told is that this type of fracture is healed when there is no more pain.  Is this correct.
  Any information about this type of fracture would be helpful.
_______________
_______________
Dear KE,
The pars interarticularis is a bony structure of the vertebra, specifically located posteriorly in the arch of bone that surrounds the spinal canal posteriorly.  It can be broken for any number of reasons.  Typically, a pars fracture will heal well on its own unless there is some underlying pathology that is impeding the healing process, like a tumor or infection.  Bone is notoriously painful and can cause significant discomfort.  
The most pertinent issue for you is why the fracture?  Trauma and degenerative disease are common causes.  Speak to your physician for some answers in this regard.  Unless there is gross disruption of the neural elements seen on the x-rays and CT's, you will probably heal quite well without surgery.
Good luck.

A related discussion, Non union of Pars Interarticularis was started.