Neurology Community
What is causing muscle jumping and weakness in my leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had back pain from time to time for a few weeks now, but nothing serious. I thought i could be starting with arthritis. 25 yrs ago i had an operation for two slipped discs in the lumber region, the surgeon told me i would probably get arthritis in later years ( i am now 57 yrs old ).

One week ago i bent down to put on my shoes, when i stood up i felt a very sharp pain in my back, i sat down immediately, the pain continued and went straight into my leg, the muscles cramping ( the sam thing had happened before my operation ).
We were 3 hrs drive away from home staying in our caravan, but i decided i wanted to go home. The journey was terrible i was in acute pain. When i got home i went straight to bed having taken painkillers and a muscle relaxing tablet ( mobic 150gm ). It was well into the next day before the pain subsided at all, my leg felt numb and the muscles jumped when i tried to walk.
I went to the doctors the next day, my leg still very weak and difficult to walk on. While i waited to see my doctor i sat in the waiting room, almost immediately my leg started to jump involuntarily. When my docotr saw me she decided to send me straight to the hospital. In the hospital my leg continued to jump incessantly ( by this time it was several hours of jumping ). I was given an intravenous drip to calm the muscles, three different bottles were used. It worked, i was sent home with an appointment to see the specialist, and to have a MRI scan. Both of these appointments are next week.
For the last week i have been resting in bed, i am in no pain now with the medication, but the muscle jumping and weakness continues. I can walk a little way but then it starts.
My question is am i doing more harm walking on the leg ? my doctor scared me by saying it must be treated or it could cause permanent damage. Is that true ?

Thanks i would be very grateful to hear from someone.  
Well, the idea about permanent damage is if you've got a nerve that has gotten pinched somehow, the wear and tear might damage it more than it already is.  Same thing with perhaps a fracture, where if you keep moving a bone around that is weak, it might get worse.  Those medics don't take forever to strap someone on a stretcher for nothing.  Wandering around the house slowly and carefully, though, for just this one week shouldn't be too big a deal.  And it is your back that is causing your leg to hurt, so try not to twist or turn or bend too much.  Just be very careful and don't do anything that even remotely resembles work, like avoid doing the dishes, stuff like that.  Your medication is perhaps making you think you can do more than you really can.
I think I have an answer for your problem.  Write to my email address.  I am writing for helping others by use of my pain management knowlegement and experience.
i have a problem  while walking my left leg is jumping. the jumping is only while walking. i will be glad if you can share information from your experience with me. i can be contacted at: yehuda.***@****