Neurology Community
What is the quickest way to get an MRI?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What is the quickest way to get an MRI?

I am a 29 year old male. I don't know that I have a brain tumor, but I've been having worsening symptoms over several years. Mostly visual symptoms in my left eye....flashes of light, sensitivity to light, pressure behind eye, many floaters. I saw an opthamologist several years ago, and no papilledema was found. I also have pressure in both ears, sensitivity to certain ranges of sound, general weakness, and recently I've developed a frequent, but somewhat mild headache at the top of the head just over my right ear. Sometimes this moves to above the right or left eyebrow, and sometimes behind the eyes. I'm sure I left out some of them but those are the most obvious. I had a CT scan done about 6 years ago, without contrast, and nothing remarkable was found.

Anyway.... I've decided I need an MRI to rule out anything serious, but my GP can only refer a CT scan. I had enough radiation from the last one. I have no insurance, so I would like to go directly to the most affordable doctor that would be willing to refer me. If a neuro-opthamologist could do it, that would probably be the best route, as they can check for papilledema beforehand.

Also, if this is not an appropriate forum, please feel free to move this.
Also wanted to add slightly blurred vision, and brief severely blurred vision when changing my focal point (looking at something close to something far or across the room.
I am just curious how long has it been going on for? I had a brain tumor and it took me 3 years to find out that is what was causing me so many problems. The fastest way is to pay for one down in the states or you just have to keep fighting the doc's for one and pretty much demand it.
Well,
I originally had symptoms about 9 years ago, but they weren't as bad. I had a CT scan about 7 years ago, had the option, but opted for without contrast, because I didn't want radioactive dye in my veins. They didn't find anything and told me I was fine. From what I hear, the gadolinium dye used for MRI's can have complications too, but it's not nearly as bad.
It would be far cheaper for you to get a consult from a neurologist then to find a doctor willing to write an order for a $5,000 test (in the US). I don't think this is a presentation of a tumor that would not be visible on a CT.

I am not a neurologist, but I know enough about the brain to comment. Your visual processing center is at the back of your head. A brain tumor affecting your vision actually being near your eye would have to be intruding onto the optic nerve or into your eye socket. If it was protruding onto your optic nerve, you would have visual deficits worsening over time. Floaters are actually in your eye, not the brain itself.

I do think that you should see a neurologist and explain your symptoms. They will be able to decide if you need a CT with contrast or an MRI.
Are you saying that the previous CT, if there was in fact a tumor at the time, should have found something? A tumor protruding onto the optic nerve would be something that an opthamologist or neuro-opthamologist would also be able to pick up on, would it not? I believe this would cause something called papilaedema.
If it's not an actual tumor, the only other things i can think of would be an eye muscular problem, optic nerve inflammation, or something like Pseudotumor Cerebri.
Just wanted to update that this is still progressing. I had an MRI of the head, MRA of the circle of willis, and MRA of the corotid/neck. All came back negative, as well as a visit to a neuro opthamologist, but I'm still getting the above symptoms, and they are progressively getting worse. I have also developed numbness in the left cheek, and for a few days it was also in the hands/fingers, but that has mostly subsided. Floaters have also become extreme in the left eye, and are causing my vision to change focus and immediately focus on them when I see them. It's very uncomfortable, and is effecting my daily life to the point I don't want to do anything or go anywhere, as this makes the visual symptoms worse.

The only scan I didn't have done was an MRI of the orbits/sinuses, and I'm kicking myself for not asking for this scan rather than the corotid. Anyway, based on the above, is a MRI of the orbits a better scan to have done? Would it find anything the other 3 scans wouldn't have?
Avatar n tn
hi brother ..., i too have the same symptoms..

i dont know the reason.. i too trying hard to diagnise my problems. i have all the issues you desbribed above.
Avatar n tn
Hi friend .., please reply mee..,