Neurology Expert Forum
What is up with my Big Toe?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What is up with my Big Toe?

About two months ago, my left big toe began twitching (or a tremor?) where that toe alone would "jump" involuntarily.

It would appear then go away for a few days. Some days, the twitch would be light, other days it would pulse rather hard with a 'thumping' sensation.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be going away and, if anything, it's getting stronger. Could this be an early sign of Parkinson's or something else like ALS, MS?

What do you advise?

Thanks,

dean_exec***@****
The symptom you describe is not classic for any of the common presentations for ALS or Parkinson's. Intermittent toe extension can sometimes signify an old injury to the nervous system, but without other symptoms it would be impossible to speculate as to the cause.

What I would recommend is that you see a neurologist. Hopefully they will be able to see the movement and decide what testing needs to be done. They can also test the function of the toe and the nerves serving it.
Thank you.

I was afflicted with Guillain-Barre Syndrome 25 years ago as a child. I thought I was fully recovered, however, perhaps this is associated with my intermittent toe extension? Something in the general category of post-Polio Syndrome?