Neurology Expert Forum
What type headache is this

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What type headache is this

I take ativan for menieres and anxiety, clarinex for allergies. Last week I started getting head pain on my left side above the ear.Hurts when you touch it. But it comes and goes and motrin makes it go away. I also have been sore in the mouth like my gums and teeth hurt. No other symptoms. My Dr. said it will either go way or we should do tests-sed rate etc. Very reluctant to do CAT Scan or MRI and I don't know why. My dentist said my teeth are ok and maybe I just have a virus that is causing nerve pain that travels.
What do you think. I am very upset because my Dr. looks into a computer the whole time that I am telling him my symtpoms and then he appears to read back what it says. Please advise. I am 55 and my only headache history is in the front for sinuses and occasionally in the back for tension. Thanks zen 4567
If the head pain and teeth/gum pain are located on the same side, I do think this needs to be evaluated further. A sedimentation rate would be a good start to look for signs of inflammation, and a MRI of the brain would help to exclude structural lesions. Other symptoms to monitor for include changes in your vision, jaw fatigue while chewing or talking, and frank jaw pain. If you experience any of these symptoms you should call your doctors immediately. Without examining you and reviewing your history I cannot provide an accurate clinical diagnosis. However, given the history which you have provided one would need to consider if this is just a normal headache or possibly related to temporal arteritis. This disorder involves inflammation of the temporal artery which then causes pain as well as some of the other symptoms I described. Good luck.
It really sounds to me like you have a sinus infection.  I had very similiar problems and the dentist did a panoramic xray and it showed the infection in my sinuses.  Antibiotics did the trick.
Thank you. My head hurts less but my gums and teeth hurt especially when I drink cold stuff. So I think you are right about sinuses. Thanks again. Zen
Especially to the MD who wrote me. Thank you. Could you please respond to this. Yes, the pain is all on the left side. I don't have pains in my head much now-a little that comes and goes. But my mouth hurts when I chew (steak,eg) or when I have anything cold. My MD did a sed rate and all I got was a phone call that my rate was normal and I should just take motrin and an antihistamine. The doctor never called me. I would add that two years ago I had inflammation and pain only on the left side of my throat and in my left teeth,gums but no headaches then. Same MD then did nothing and said it was a virus and it did go away but a month later. What do you think. Should I make appt with a neurologist or insist that my MD orders an MRI or Cat Scan. I am not sure exactly of what you mean by the jaw comments but it is sore there. This too does come and go as it seems to move along my left side of mouth and from top to bottom and reverse. Thanks and please reply. zen.
This sounds like a problem I've had in my right jaw. My teeth become sensitive and my jaw is painful. My doc sent me to an ear, nose, throat specialist. I didn't like his flip attitude when he said I have TMJ from grinding my teeth. But I have tried to relax my jaw on a conscious level. It takes a lot of work but it has been helping. Asprin helps with the pain. Wish I could tell you more. Just don't give up.

Shyrell
I went to a neurologist who did an mri. I have an inflammation of the nerve which she is treating with an anti-seizure medication. It has been very helpful. Hopefully it will go away soon. What I liked was that she was very respectful of me and my whole history. Also I did not have to wait an hour to see her. I am relieved that this is all I have. It is basically similar to neuralgias of various types. Thanks for your comments. ray
Am suffering a stinging pain at the left side of my head. Its painful when i'm trying to touch it. Due to pain, have to comb my hair slowly..sometimes the pain will lost and it go back after few hours..pls advise what kind of headache is this?
A related discussion, Health reform? Or real health reform? was started.