Neurology Community
What's wrong with me?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What's wrong with me?

Hi, I’m a 17 year old female. I’ve been reading over these posts, “The link between marijuana and anxiety” and I am concerned about what is wrong with me exactly. When I was about 16 I used to smoke marijuana at least 5-8 times a week, and when I did smoke, I would smoke 2-3 bowls. I used to get that happy, dopey feeling most people would get, and I will admit, it was enjoyable. At that time life was great, and I didn’t really think about much else than getting high (as sad as that is) One day, I went to my friends and we smoked our normal amount, I was high and feeling good, and then his sister’s boyfriend asked if we wanted to smoke some of his marijuana using a bong. I had never used a bong before, so I eagerly wanted to try. I was okay for my first hit, but after my second I felt so sick. I thought I was just greening out, even though it had never happened to me before. I thought, at first, that I just had to throw up, and I’d be okay. Moments later, I HAD to stand up, nothing felt right. I told them I had to go outside. I stood with my friend, and just felt out of my mind, like I was on something totally different, it was not the normal high I used to get at all. All of a sudden it hit me, I felt a tingly sensation throughout my body, and my mind would not shut off. I thought I was having a heart attack, and then I started to shake uncontrollably. My friend noticed, and he brought me inside and told me to eat something. Nothing worked. His mom came over to me, and asked me to try to sleep. I was scared that if I fell asleep I would die. I asked them if the marijuana was laced, they said no, it was the exact same type we had always smoked. They said I was just having a bad trip, but I told them I wanted them to call the EMS. At this point, they were pissed, especially his mom. I tried to calm myself down, but it seemed like everything was getting worse. I was shaking more, I had horrible control with my body, and I couldn’t feel anything properly. So, they called 911, just to be safe. The paramedics said that I was fine, I just had a really high heart beat, and went on about how I shouldn’t smoke. I went home, still messed up, went to sleep and woke up fine. After the incident I thought that maybe I had smoked too much? I wasn’t really sure what happened, and I really didn’t want to give up marijuana, at the time all I could think about were the good highs, and I wanted so bad to experience them again. So, a week later I bought 2 grams of a different type of weed, and smoked up with another friend, to change my surroundings. I thought it would possibly help to prevent whatever happened last time. It didn’t. In fact this time was much worse. I felt like I was outside of my body, I was paranoid that my friend wanted nothing more than to steal my weed and pipe, and that she would beat me up if I didn’t. So, I gave it all to her, and left. I called my brother and sat with him while I cried and shook, and this horrible “high” lasted 6 hours. Not the 2-3 that they say it will last. I was so scared when I woke up the next morning, because I still felt all tingly and weird, and it remained with me for a week. Soon after I got very depressed, and felt that I couldn’t control any emotion anymore. I started seeing a therapist, and went on cyprelax (the anti-depressant) for a good 4 months. After I stopped using it, I felt better, and everything seemed normal again. I could control my mood swings, I wasn’t paranoid, and over thinking. I was simply me. Dumb me. About 2 weeks ago, I decided I was going to try smoking one last time. I figured that it had been 5 months since I had used, and that any problem I had last time would not return. So, I got a hold of my friend, whom I had the first horrible experience with and told him to bring a gram to smoke on Halloween, which was 2 days ago. A day before this I felt the tingly sensation again, out of NOWHERE. I hadn’t drank, or smoked weed, or done any drug for the longest time, it was so random. It scared me. I googled and googled to try and find out if I had a problem, like MS, or something where you lose a lot of feeling in your hands. Everything didn’t feel like it should, and when I touched my own hand it felt like electricity. My friends joked about how it was probably a sign not to smoke weed again, but I just laughed it off. The night was fun at first, the hand situation wasn’t that bad, it was just weird, and uncomfortable I guess. I already felt pretty happy off candy and the occasional cigarette. Then my friend told me we were going to go the park and smoke up. 2 other friends came, and I was pretty excited. I never even thought that I would have a anything but a good experience. We smoked one bowl, to the 4 of us, and I felt fine. We walked for about 5 mintues, and I was laughing and having a good time. They were all high, I could tell, and I didn’t really feel anything. Then it hit me. I was so scared, and paranoid. I didn’t feel safe with them, because they were all out of their minds? I wanted to meet up with out sober friends that were trick or treating. So we did, and I felt a lot better being with them…but I couldn’t ignore how everything felt so fake, and scripted? I felt like my body was useless, but my brain was like superior to every elses. I felt like a genious, it was really weird, and scarey at the same time. I also still felt the tingly sensation and I had to walk around, or I would get extremely paranoid. Now 2 days later, my hands are still tingly, as well as my mouth. I know that it will eventually go away (I hope) I explained to my one friend how I was feeling, and he said that he felt similar when he did shrooms. I have never done shrooms, but now I never plan on it, or any other drug, because I am insanely scared that my experience could be that much worse, you know? I was just wondering what is going on with me…do I have anxiety, is that what makes me go crazy when I smoke marijuana? Is that what gives me the tingly sensation all over? Is that what makes me feel like I’m having a heart attack? Any help would be greatly appreciated.