Neurology Community
Where to go next?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Where to go next?

Hi , For over five years now I have been suffering from unsteadiness/balance problems, weak legs and at times fingers/hands.

My most debilitating symptom is the unsteadiness (feeling of walking on a trampoline/in a boat) and leg weakness. What originally started as a mild weak feeling in the right leg it has progressed to the above I am sorry to say. It seemed to be triggered in 2007 by banging my knee getting into a van - this brought the right leg feeling, then it came and went until slowly over several years it has progressed to permanent unsteadiness. There used to be good days but now they no longer exist. My symptoms are a daily nightmare especially working as a teacher, heat makes the symptoms a lot worse as does stress.Over this five year nightmare I have seen two neurologists, a neurosurgeon and a rheumatologist. The following tests have been performed:

Two MRIs a year apart of the brain and full spine - clear apart from some minor disc bulge in lower spine and a few other minor irregularities that the neurosurgeon said would not cause my symptoms. Two EMGs and Nerve Conduction tests - both clear. Complete blood panel for all of the usual several times - clear. Potassium Channel Antibody Test (some sort of ataxia test) - negative. Coeliac Blood Test - Clear. Wilsons Disease - negative
Neurological Examination - clear (although one neurologist noted dull deep tendon reflexes). Lyme Disease - Western Blot/C6 Peptide (On NHS) - negative

The neurologist I am currently under has quote 'assured me' this is not MS nor Parkinsons. I feel completely stuck in limbo I know this isn't psycholoigcal a perfectly healthy 24 year old gifted athlete shouldn't go from perfect health to having difficulty functioning on a daily basis.

I guess my main question here is where to go next, what would peoples advice be for more testing, routes to consider etc? Do I explore a different discipline other than neurology. There surely must be other avenues to explore
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank