Neurology Expert Forum
White Matter Leisions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

White Matter Leisions

I Had all the tests for MS done.  My neurologist said that i do not have MS; and he has no idea about the white matter leisions.  But i do have MS symptoms; which is puzzling to me since i do not have it.   One symptom that has crept up on me in the last couple weeks is the headache i get at the back of my head and the vomiting that comes with it.  I get disoriented, blurred vision, loss of coordination, memory loss, garbled speech.  I am 40 years old.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
     I am unable to comment on your 'white matter lesions' since I am unable to see your MRI, but white matter lesions can be seen in a number of conditions including high blood pressure/ small vessel ischemic disease, normal aging, migraine headaches, multiple sclerosis, lyme disease, etc. The symptoms of headaches and vomiting are not symptoms of multiple sclerosis.  There is one diagnosis that could potentially explain all of your symptoms and that is migraine headaches.  Migraines are typically episodic severe headaches that are associated with nausea/vomiting, photophobia (sensitivity to lights), phonophobia (sensitivity to sounds) and worsen with movement (not everyone gets all of the symptoms).  These headaches can also be associated with disorientation (confusional migraines), blurred vision, garbled speech and memory problems (although these symptoms are much less common).  Preventative medications for migraine include elavil, topamax, nadolol, verapamil, tizanidine to name a few.  
I hope this has been helpful.
Same here.....I have many of the same symptoms, been tested out the butt, and my Neuro says he's not sure what is going on.
I am coming to the conclusion sometimes it just happens, we probably won't find out, hopefully your symptoms aren't too debilitating, and you can get on with your life,........ that is what I plan to do.
Don't know if this might help or not.  My story is that 15 years ago I began having many of the same symptoms, i.e., periods of not being able to focus, confusion, slowed & slurred speech, etc.  These episodes usually lasted about 15 - 20 minutes, and became increasingly frequent.  I was checked for everything under the sun.  My brain MRI showed white lesions which Neurology told me were possibly indications of MS.  I refused to have the spinal tap done to rule out of confirm MS.  They also thought the white lesions could be from TIA's (mini strokes), but my final and best, I believe, diagnosis was "OCULAR MIGRAINE".  It was explained to me that I was experiencing the "aura" phase of the migraine whereby the vessels constricted, but then did not go on to "bloat" which would have caused the actual headache.  I was prescribed 25 mg/daily of Tenormin (generic is atenalol)
(beta blocker).  I have not experienced the episodes again after having been on the Tenormin only about 2 weeks.  That's been many years ago, and I still take the same 25mg daily, and my blood pressure has remained perfectly normal.
I think Ocular Migraine is missed in diagnoses alot.  Hope this might help.
you may want to look into Lyme disease.
I think you should look for a neurologist who specializes in migraines, as migraine headaches can cause white matter lesions, as well as the other symptoms you describe.  
very true or high blood pressure that may be asymptomatic.
I too had 7 white matter lesions on my MRI as well.  This really freaked me out!!  My Neurologist also tested me for MS and said I do not have it.  I suffer from headaches/migraines and he said that is probably what caused the white spots.  Although I do not have MS I have been diagnosed with a condition called Syringomyelia (SM) which is very rare.  A Neuroradiologist viewed my MRI scans and said I have "syrinx" cysts at various levels in my thoracic spinal cord.  I had never heard of this before.  My Neurologist is referring me to a Neursurgeon.  My symptoms are:  neck and back pain/stiffness, pain and stiffness in my shoulders, headaches and migraines, occasional tingling/numbness in my hands and legs, tingling/numbness in my upper back, one episode of shooting pain and numbness down my left arm and fatigue.  Good luck with your quest of finding out what is wrong.  This process is so frusterating.  I am just glad to finally have a "word" to associate with my symptoms.  Have a great weekend!!
I am also experiencing the same frustrations you are not knowing what is going on with my body!

I got in the car about 3 years ago and was fine. The trip was about 2 hours long and when we reached our destination and I went to get out of the car my right leg was so weak I could not walk properly and I have been "dragging" it ever since. I tried chiro and massage as well as Migun beds and nothing really helped.

I had an MRI in February which showed "white spots" on my brain and brain stem. I had the spinal tap which showed only 2 bands of white cells and was told 5 was the threshold for a definitive MS diagnosis. All my other labs have been normal and they have tested for everything! I had SEPs last week and was told they are "fine"!

In addition to my leg spasticity which causes me to fall a lot, I experience the urinary urgency symptoms, some mild numbness in my right hand from time to time, and headaches.

I don't know if I have MS and I don't have a clue what else could be causing my symptoms and this lack of knowledge is unnerving at times! I have been referred to an neurologist who is an MS specialist but the appointment isn't until July!

Sounds like hydrocephalus.  google around and find the Mayo site.  Your symptoms are a match to what I read there.  I am not a doctor but have been doing some research re my brother's condition.
A related discussion, White matter hyperintensities? was started.