White matter disease
My daughter has a Mitochondrial disease (kind unknown) and recently they found white matter disease on her brain that evidentally had been missed in 2 previous MRIs in the last 2 years. Anyway our neuro said that white matter disease was progressive and regressive, that she would slowly go downhill till she died. HOWEVER with the latest MRI the white matter disease was actually much less than it had been before. What does this mean? Is it the same outcome except much slower? I am confused by the whole ordeal Thank you so much for any insight on white matter disease period!
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details such as the precise condition in question etc. or a detailed clinical evaluation, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation or the expected prognosis. While matter diseases are usually progressive and regressive though occasionally a few may show periods of improvement/ remission, to be followed by further progression. A few on the other hand may just present with a single or a few episodes and good long term prognosis. It would be best to discuss the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with her treating neurologist.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!