Neurology Community
Why Can't I see?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Why Can't I see?

Ever since I was in sixth grade (i am now 20), I got "ophthalmologic migraine's". I'd see weird lights, like tv snow, and then lose my vision for about an hour at most, then got a HORRIBLE migraine. But recently I had one, and it hasnt went away. I feel like im stuck in the first 5 minutes of that kind of headache, where I can see, but not see everything. Like a blind spot. What should I do? my eyes feel  strained, and I dont have a headache. Please help. It feels like something is missing out of the picture.

Also, I have a pituitary tumor, but its a microadenoma. The surgeon said it was not causing these headaches. That was a year ago.

Please help
Visual migraines frequently do not cause pain. I get them a lot.

As for the cause/effect with pituitary tumors, there is very much a connection. Hormones can cause headaches and pituitary is right there in that cause as well. Not all migraine sufferers have pituitary tumors, but pretty much all pituitary tumor people have headaches, many have migraines. I know I did and do. You should get your pituitary tumor treated (why don't you know what type it is?) and you should see a migraine specialist, not surgeon, for advice on medications for the headaches. If you get the tumor treated, likely the headaches will recede as well. Many know can be treated with medications - you have to have a lot of testing to show the type however and imaging will not help you determine treatment.

What you are missing is a neuro-endocrinologist. Maybe a neuro-opthomologist as well.
My suggestion would be to see an neuro-opthomlogist as soon as you can. He/she might be able to pinpoint he problem while you still have the symptoms. Among the POSSIBLE diagnoses is optic neuritis.

Hope this has been of some help.

Rendean
(dx MS 4/09)
I have an endocrinologist, and brain surgeon. Both of which told me its not in the way of my optic nerves, nor cause of my headaches. That was a year ago. I haven't seen them since, but will be sure to go asap. I have an ophthalmologist appt. tomorrow.

The tumor is 5mm by 6mm. Its not producing anything. The only thing that came out of all the testing was that I now know I have an underactive thyroid which I am on meds for. Although for the past 2 weeks I havent been on them