Neurology Community
Why Do I Always Think I'm Falling Over When I'm Not Moving?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am suffering from dizziness most of the time now and feel sick.  I also some times jump as I think I am falling over when I'm not actually moving.  I feel like when I tell people they dont believe me
It is true, you can fall off the floor.  It sounds like you have vertigo, which you can get for a variety of reasons, to include an infection in your ear, which you should visit an ear nose throat ENT to see if it's something simple like that.  While you wait for that appointment, you can try taking the over-the-counter motion sickness pills with meclazine in it, it'll help you not feel so dizzy.  There's also a possibility that if you are quite tired a lot from working too much, especially in front of a computer all day, and your eyes can get so tired that you'll get that dizzy feeling.  The neurological issue that may be at play is a pinched nerve in the neck somewhere, an X-ray would probably show if you've got a little arthritis going on, and a neuro could prescribe some physical therapy to help unstuck the affected nerve.  As for people not believing you, most people cannot relate to another person's silent suffering, even if they know them very well.  But a physician will usually try to get to the bottom of it, they like it when they fix people.
Avatar dr m tn
Dizziness and loss of balance may be caused by disturbance of the balance (vestibular) system of the inner ear, Meniere's Disease, Otitis media, Anemia, Brain tumour, Migraine, Stroke, Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (cupulolithiasis), side effect of medications (both Prescription and Non-Prescription) or Vertebral basilar insufficiency. Please consult a physician and ENT surgeon first as most of the times it is related to ear problems. If there is no ear problem, please go for an MRI of the brain and consult a neurologist to rule out a brain pathology. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!