Neurology Expert Forum
Why Does my Right side hurt

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Why Does my Right side hurt

I have been having severe pain in my right, side especially the shoulder and lower arm to raise or anything I do hurts,the left side has gotten better but it has been going on a few weeks.Now I am getting headaches and neck stiffness on the right side only.I just had a hysterectomy on Nov 4th 2010 if that helps and I have a bakers cist behind my right knee.I am getting concerned now what kind of doctor do I need to see?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

One possibility is a condition called fibromyalgia. Fibromyalagia is a medical condition that leads to whole body pains. Its cause is unknown, but it is characterized by diffuse aches, sometimes GI symptoms similar to irritable bowel, sleep abnormalities, low pain threshold, and other features. It is best treated with medications such as lyrica and neurontin, exercise, and physical therapy.  Fibromyalgia occurs frequently in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. If no cause of the condition is identified, it is best to look for other contributing factors such as anxiety or depression.

The cervical (that is the neck) region can also be a source of pain if you have something called a radiculopathy. This is a condition caused by compression of a nerve as it leaves the spinal cord. The compression could be due to arthritis of the spine or due to a herniated disc or other lesions. The symptoms include pain at the level of the problem (i.e. neck or back etc) and pain that may radiate down the arm or leg (depending on where the problem is). In more advanced cases, muscle weakness or sensory symptoms such as tingling or numbness may occur. A radiculopathy is often diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and MRI of the spine.

You should first see your primary physician. From the examination and history, you may be referred. An MRI of your cervical region may be indicated.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.