Why TIAs don't show up on MRIs?
I have had 2 attacks of amaurosis fugax, TIAs for the last 15 years at least, yet none have left their mark or can be detected by a Carotid Doppler or MRI?  Please explain why not and what tests should be ordered for findings?  My doctor believes there is nothing wrong with me although I have had off the chart headaches, numbness and tingling in upper and lower extremeties, balance problems, sudden confusion, and a few other symptoms.  A doppler was done and a MRI, revealing nothing,and he seems satisfied, although I know there is something seriously wrong. Plesse advised on the next steps to take to reduce the chance of my "mistreated" by my physicians.
Hi there.

Transient ischemic attacks (TIA's) due to their transient and short term nature, would really have a hard time showing up on brain scans since the injury or insult was not completed.  

The normal brain scans and MRI's portend that there are nothing wrong with the brain itself, and your problem may be functional (related to neurotransmitter issues such as anxiety, some form of depression, or problems with nerve conduction like an early form of MS).

You can discuss with your doctors regarding these possibilities I mentioned, and possibly get some form of treatment for such.  Most symptoms do abate after treatment for some form of anxiety or mild depression.

Regards and God bless.