Neurology Community
Why am I having "numbness type" feeling from waist down?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 38 yr old african american woman.  Healthy.  Never hospitalized other than having children.  On March 4 I had to have a d & c.  No complications there.  On March 18, I presented with numbness in my legs (bilateral), feet (bilateral), and in the genatalia.  The sensation I feel is hard to explain, the best way is to say it feels as if my lower body has fallen asleep and won't wake up.  On March 20, I finally discussed these symptoms with my GYN as I have no PCP.  By the time I talked to him the numbness now includes up to my belly button and my left and right pinky fingers are tingly.  He did a babinski test, sensation test, muscle strength was equal, checked my vagina and anus (small hemorroid).  The only uncertainty he had was the lack of sensation I have around my mid abdomen.  He started me on an ATB for the possibility of being introduced anything bacterial when I had the procedure done.  What on earth is causing this numbness.  I feel ackward, it is all so unreal.  Is there a possibility that I may be having some of the subtle symptoms of MS or transverse myelitis?
I think I'd make an appointment with a really good Rheumatologist, too. Sometimes neurological and rheumatological symptoms overlap as was the situation in my case. The two specialists needed to work together to determine why I progressively lost sensation in my lower leg and foot. As it stands now, it looks like an autoimmune problem and not neurological after a slew of tests and consultations between the two physicians. I, too, am an otherwise healthy 41 yr. old female. Do you, by chance, notice muscle spasms in the areas affected? Please keep me posted. You can e-mail me directly.  My best wishes. Jlisa