Neurology Community
Why do I Have Twitching of Fingers & Toes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

What causes the twitching of my fingers and toes? At this very moment I am experiencing this with my left thumb. I feel it as well as see it. Twitching just recently stopped in the toes of my left foot. First noticed these symptoms a while back. It all started with my right temple area, I felt like the vein was moving or quivering it drove me crazy. So I started taking a multi-vitamin and it stopped, but if I missed more than a day of taking my vitamin it would start again. After that I thought all was fine. Then one day I felt my left eye lid twitching. Even felt it in my top lip a few times. Another sensation has happened, also. It happens on the side of my left hand, and it feels and looks so weird. Like something is pulling that area in, you can see it happening. Drives me to the point of wanting to cut my hand off. But like I've said the vitamins seem to help sometimes, and if it doesn't I double up on them. Hasn't stopped the thumb twitching yet, though.
I like others have had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, but I don't honestly believe that's the cause. There are also times my feet cramp up, I can feel when it's about to happen. And it seems to happen after I've done too much bending over. Have had back surgery. So everytime I do too much bending I can count on my foot cramping.
What causes this? Know my mother had nueropathy. Could this be it? Should I try different vitamins? Also should say I do have Hepatitis C.  
It sure sounds like a nutrient deficiency.  It's most probably the magnesium and/or potassium that is helping you.  These are available separately.  Check with your doctor about taking the RDI or higher.
Thank you for your answer to my question. I seem to think, also, that this is the problem. Because like I said when I take the vitamins all seems fine. Although I think there might be another cause.
Lots of things could lead to a deficiency.  Magnesium deficiency is actually quite common.  Do you live stressfully, lots of coffee/soda, poor diet, lots of physical exertion, frequent upset stomach, excessive sweating, malabsorption, etc.?
While I do drink lots of coffee and soda, I do not physically exert myself. Not since being laid off, anyway. Have found that taking the vitamins helps greatly.
I have been having twitches in temple area just some nights notice it but for last two months have had twitches on index toe and sometimes on thumb either hand but those rare main twitches been on toe foot next to large thumb toe any help please getting to point I wake up as dont feel it much when walking or sitting just when in bed notice it twitch and keeps me awake.

thanks