Neurology Community
Why do I get shocking pain after sneezing?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I don't know which topic to put this under: allergies, nerve pain, or back pain? Every time I sneeze, a shocking "struck-by-lightning" type pain shoots through my upper back, up into my shoulders and collar bone, then down my arms and into the very tips of my fingers. Sometimes it travels towards my chest but stops just under my breasts. It is excruciating and lasts anywhere from 15 seconds to a couple minutes. It really feels like something is wrong and I am scared. It only happens after I sneeze, no other time. Now, I dread the sensation of a sneeze coming on and try to stop it at all costs because I cannot take the pain that follows.
I think what you experience is a pain due to some kind of nerve irritation. Due you have any kind of spinal or skeletal disorders? any history of trauma, accident, fall or surgery?

A sneeze (or sternutation) is a semi-autonomous, convulsive expulsion of air from the lungs, most commonly caused by foreign particles irritating the nasal mucosa. Since it is a strong expulsive act, a lot of energy is utilized and air is thrown out during this act. This results in a sharp movement of the spine and upper part of the body which may be the cause of the shooting pain that you experience.

I think you should contact your doctor and get this examined immediately.

Till that time, you may avoid known irritants or use OTC- antiallergics to prevent any injury which may take place accidentally.

Best regards