Neurology Community
Why do my arms and legs always feel so uncomfortable??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a 31 year old female and I'm really hoping someone can understand me or even help me.  For the last year and somewhat previous to that, I've been getting the most uncomfortable feelings in my arms and legs, including hands and feet.  I wish nothing more that I could explain to a dr what I feel.  If I really had to explain, it's like a crawly feeling in my extremities, almost like there's tingling inside of my muscles.  It makes me so uncomfortable, I could cry at times.  I can be in my car, at work, sitting, walking - almost anything - except when I lay down flat, which seems to help.  It definitely gets worse with stress.  I have had 3 MRI's and a spinal tap.  The MRI's  have all shown lesions in my brain, but according to the drs, nothing that looks like MS.  However, I of course had the spinal tap about a year ago which didn't show any of the olicognial (SP?) rings.  In the meantime, I've tried RLS medication, which doesn't help because it doesn't bother me as far as I know when I sleep.  I've been on baclofen, gabopentin (both at the same time) and Tizanidine.  It also seems to get worse after I exercise strenuously.  When I get these feelings, all during the day and evening, I stretch so hard that I sometimes hurt (feel like I'm almost pinching a nerve).  I just can't seem to stretch hard enough.  At times, after I stretch like this, I actually involuntarliy shake.  
Like I said.  Hopefully someone can help.  Whether it be advice, or someone else who feels the way I do.
I'm so sorry.  just know that you're not alone. I've had muscle ridgidity for about 6 months now. It all seemed to have started after I was put on a drug called abilify. It also caused lightheadedness. I've been off the drug for almost two months now, but I still have the symptoms. Have you seen a neurologist?
Yes, I've been seeing two different neurologists.  The first one tried to give me an anti-anxiety/depression rx then sent me for a 1.5T MRI then a 3T MRI 3 months later, then when I asked what the comparisons were he said they were apples and oranges.  That was the end of that guy.  Since then, I've been somewhat seeing a neurologist who is a PhD and evidently an MS expert.  He just keeps trying more drugs.  I'm thinking of trying to get a referral to the Mayo system as I live in MN.  
What is muscle rigidity ?  What does it feel like?  I get to the point every day that I can't type or like today, I was trying to turn the pages of a file and couldn't barely get through one page and was throwing my arms out to stretch.
Sorry :(
That sounds worse than mine. I have a ridgidity in my left leg that makes me want to continually wiggle the toes in my left foot. I also have some ridgidity in my arms that has made sleeping difficult some nights.

Mayo's great... My mom was treated successfully for breast cancer there about 10 years ago.

Hope you find answers/ get better soon.
Your symptoms sound somewhat similar to mine.  Has your neurologist given you an EMG test?  I think that is what it's called.  Have you had an MRI of your lower back?

Nope, I haven't had an EMG.  And, when I asked about getting an MRI of my spine/back, I was told it wasn't necessary.
What are your symptoms like?
Here's a link to a website on a movement disorder called spasticity.
http://www.wemove.org/spa/spa.html

It mentioned "stretching" as something related. Not sure if it's what you have, but thought it might help you.
I know this was a few years ago now that you posted here but was wondering if you've had any luck in figuring out exactly what the cause of your symptoms is? I have similar symptoms except for that mine isn't a tingling feeling, rather I have shooting pain that makes me feel the need to constantly stretch my arms and legs and also my fingers. I too live in MN and have seen 2 neurologists and had several MRI's with no answers. I am 32 and have been living with this for the last 5 years now. I have considered contacting the Mayo as well. Would love to hear if you have found anything that helps or any answers that maybe I could lead off of.