Neurology Community
Why meds stop working

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Why meds stop working

Hi!
I sure hope someone can help! I have been seeing a neurologist since October of last year. So far, he has diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, Peripheral Neuropathy, Mild spinal stenosis, and idiopathic chronic pain syndrome. Every medication we have tried starts out helping and within weeks stops working. He says I am building up "tolerances" to the meds really fast and he cannot explain it. I am so very tired of the pain, numbness, burning, cramping, et al. Any ideas? Since October I have tried Lortab (3 strengths), gabapentin, Lyrica, Ultram, Relafen, Zonegran, and Trileptal. I am also on Cymbalta and Ambien. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, problem lies with the fact that you have multiple issues, and few of them are difficult to control and above that development of tolerance is definitely there but in your case it is happening fast.

So, it is basically hit and trial. Individuals react differently to drugs, some get pain relief with particular drugs while others doesn’t, and this depends upon how that drug is getting metabolized in their bodies. Please keep on trying different **** tails of drugs till you find the right match! Good luck
I have been on a high dose of Lyrica for almost 2 years and have gained 30 lbs.  Way too much for someone my height. A friend said she took Zonegran for nerve pain and it helped her tremendously.  My c ondition now is post herpetic neuraglia left over from shingles in the top of my head, forehead, eyebrow and left eye.

have anyone tried Zonegran for post herpetic nueraglia (PHN) and did it help.  The Lyrica is now affecting my eyes so I am desperate to get off it.

Any answers/experiences are much appreciated.  Thanks much.