Why normal tests shown when you have TIA
I have a history of TIAs the first when I was 43 (14 years ago) left sided, since then two more episodes right sided.  I had CT scans for all three at the time but was told showed nothing abnormal and an MRI for the third time.  This showed I had a white area on the right side of my brain but was told to dismiss it as they considered it normal.  Am I right in thinking that it could be a possible side effect of my first TIA which affected my left side? Is it true that the more TIAs you have it can leave brain damage?  I am told to forget the TIAs and get on with life as all the tests have been normal. I have since researched TIAs and strokes,which can be caused by a hole in the heart, should I pursue this line of investigation, as I am obviously at a risk of having a full stroke at some time maybe. There is also heart disease in my family.

Thanks for writing in.
TIA is a mini stroke and you are right when you say that it could well bring on a full fledged stroke. Being a mini stroke it may or may not produce ischemic changes in the brain.
However you definitely need to be careful. Please avoid all the risk factors for stroke like high BP, smoking, alcoholism, obesity and high cholesterol. Make sure your body weight is under control and exercise regularly. Avoid foods high in calories and salt.
Also since you have a history of cardiovascular disease, it will make sense to get a cardiovascular evaluation done.
Thank you for your comments. I have had a cardiovascular evaluations done and all tests are essentially normal. Heart echo showed thinning of the base of heart but told not to worry about it and MRI showed white area and again not to worry about it. Are these indications of future stroke or heart disease?
I am concerned about me mother who recently had a neurological event 2 weeks ago.  She presented with numbness RT side, memory loss, agitation.  She takes BP& cholesterol lowering meds. CAT scan, echo results all normal but she still has tingling on Rt side. I called her neurologist concerning this and await a response any comments?