Neurology Community
Why would ocular migraines suddenly get worse?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

About a week and 1/2 ago my opthalmic migraines started getting worse. I don't have headaches with them. My neuro is sending me for an MRI already to check for MS, so I guess that is a good thing. The oculars aren't anything like I have had before, my eyes feel tight one time and I lose vision, the next its staggering across and I lose vision, the next its like someone turned the lights down low, and now they are coming on with dizziness too.

What causes this? they are freaking me out and i panic now during them.
Hi, Thank you for the question. The mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them. Triggering factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. Other factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. Few women experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods & at the time of hormonal imbalance. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of your migraine attacks and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!
Hi Iris,

I am sorry you are having these symptoms.  I too have what you describe.  I am currently in limboland for MS.  

I am not sure, but I think this is due to optic neuritis.  

I definitely feel your neuro needs to rule out MS.  It actually can be a long road for some to get a diagnosis.

I would like to refer you to the "health pages" top right-hand corner of the page for great information.  Also to the left are your applications where you can document your history of symptoms with trackers, journals etc.

The best of luck to you!

terri