Neurology Expert Forum
Will bruised nerve regenerate fully?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Will bruised nerve regenerate fully?

5 months ago, I accidentally hit my right upper wrist (forearm) really  very hard on the corner of a piece of furniture.
  I had tingling and numbness afterwards in my 4th and 5th fingers and outer palm and now, 5 months later it's improved somewhat but it's still a bit numb in that area (my 4th and 5th fingers and outer palm).
  I am a professional pianist and this sensation (or lack of full)/  numbness is very distracting when practicing or performing. (I have not experienced a loss of dexterity or strength).
  I did not seek immediate medical help as I thought it to be minor, even though it did hurt like heck when it happened. I did speak to a Dr. on the street who was nice enough to offer a quick diagnosis that I had bruised the nerve and that it would grow back and "bridge the gap".  Enough time has passed that I'm worried it'll never get back to normal.
  Can I expect the nerve to regenerate fully, and the feeling to return 100%? I know it may seem minor, but I am 34 and was looking forward to a long career as a pianist, and this really is truly distracting to the creative process.
  Thank you so much.
==============================================================================
Thanks for the question. It sounds like in your accident you injured the ulnar nerve. The question really comes down to how much injury you sustained in terms of recovery. The best test to determine the degree of nerve injury is an electromyogram tests. This should be completed by a lab very experienced in these types of problems such as the Cleveland Clinic. If the EMG test is normal then I think you chances of full recovery are excellent. On the positive side you do not have weakness and you are experiencing return of sensation - these are both good prognostic signs.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes. Please consult your doctor regarding diagnostic and treatment options. To make an appointment at CCF call 216 444 5559.