Neurology Community
Winged Scapula-Possible cause

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Winged Scapula-Possible cause

I was diagnosed with Winged Scapula about 4 months ago.  My introduction to this affliction was severe pain in my right shoulder and it radiated down my arm.  I also had a long battle with severe neck pain that radiated off to the top of my shoulder and sometimes down into my back.  About a week after the shoulder pain, I noticed the winging of the scapula.  I thought I had dislocated my shoulder.  I went to the ER and the doctor told me, without even mising a beat, that I had Winged Scapula and told me the cause is damage to the long thoracic nerve.  I have never been in an accident, I don't lift weights, etc.., so I don't know how I ended  up with this.   I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritst a few years back.  My quusion: Is it possible that the RA caused the damage to the Thoracic Nerve which led to the Winged Scapula?  My RA goes beyond my joints.  I have nodes in my lungs and it has attacked the walls of my chest.  Is it possible that this is the root cause of my winged scapula?

This discussion is related to winged scapula.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Scapular winging is a rare debilitating condition that is the result of numerous causes, including traumatic, iatrogenic, and idiopathic processes that most often result in nerve injury and paralysis of either the serratus anterior, trapezius, or rhomboid muscles.
If there was no history of surgery or blunt trauma, non-traumatic injury to the long thoracic nerve may be caused by viral illness,   allergic-drug reactions, drug overdose, toxic exposure (herbicides and tetanus antitoxin, muscular dystrophy-fascioscapulohumeral dystrophy , C7 radiculopathy, and aortic coarctation. Trauma may also be due to repetitive movements, as seen in athletics and house-hold activities(  hedge-clipping, digging, car washing, or prolonged lying in bed with the arms abducted and propping up the head to read. Rhomboid and trapezius muscle rupture  and other direct injuries to scapulothoracic muscles can also cause scapular winging.  If your RA directly or indirectly has an effect to such structures mentioned, this may be a possible cause. Discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation. This link may help: (ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684151/)
Hope this helps. Take care and regards.