Neurology Community
Winged Scapula

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Winged Scapula

I recently developed a winged scapula condition and quite frankly do not know what to do about it.  My orthopedic surgeon has referred me to a spine surgeon after the results of my MRI came back.  I cannot lift my arm past 90 degrees and have severe muscle wasting.  My MRI states I have moderate to severe foraminal narrowing at c-5 and c-6 as well as cord deformity and other issues.
What is the treatment for this type of condition? Does it go away on its own?
I have this right know and it is not fun. I took an mri and it was negative. Did you take an EMG test? This test the nerves. How did you get this condition? Have you started PT? Does it hurt?

I am not able to lift my arm above my head for 6 weeks. I have no pain, it just wont move.  

From what I read this is a long healing process.
How are you?
Winged scapula occurs due to damage to the long thoracic nerve of the shoulder which causes the paralysis of serratus anterior muscle.
The nerve damage occurs due to blunt trauma or contusion.
The condition is usually managed by conservative treatment like muscle strengthening exercises. If the conservative treatment fails, surgery is the only option.
Please discuss this with an orthopedic specialist. Do keep us posted!