Neurology Expert Forum
Woke up with terrible pain in tailbone.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Woke up with terrible pain in tailbone.

This morning I woke up and as I turned over, I felt a sharp hot pain coming from my tailbone region. From then on, every time I move, whether it's sitting, walking, laying down, that area just leaves me in pain. The only things I thought could have caused it was the fact that I'm still recovering from a bleeding hemorrhoid, or the fact that I slept on my side all night, and I normally don't. I can't tell if I have any other out of the ordinary back pain, because I suffer from a mild case of scoliosis and my back is always sore in the morning, but my right arm feels almost disconnected & heavy than my left one. I'm running a little fever, but I'm a little on sick side prior to this, so I do have congestion and a headache. I really want to know what this is, because I can't sleep! If you think you can help, please respond back.
Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Coccydynia (or pain of the coccyx) is exacerbated from sitting or rising from upright position. It is usually caused by trauma. It may have other symptoms such as rectal pressure or anal pain. The diagnosis is predominantly clinical. Imaging may aid in the diagnosis. Treatment includes a doughnut pillow for sitting, sitz baths, massage, biofeedback, NSAIDs, and invasive procedures such as injections and perhaps surgery.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.