Neurology Expert Forum
Women with MS on Viagra

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Women with MS on Viagra

Because of problems I have been having, my doctor said he would prescribe me Viagra.
  I am a 24-year-old female with MS, and this has been my only major problem.  I am wary of taking Viagra because I know that it has not been FDA approved for women, even though I know doctors are prescribing it.  What do you think?  I would really like to take something, but don't know if it would be a good move.  

_

Dear Tammy,
Thank you for your question. Studies on the efficacy of Viagra in women are currently in progress. I do not know of any study using Viagra in women with MS, although some MS specialists might have prescribed it already. I did not use it for any of my female patients yet. There is no obvious reason to think that this medication might have a negative impact on the disease itself, but of course it should be tried with caution. I am afraid I cannot give a more "scientific" answer at this point, due to the lack of available data, which will proably be coming in the next years.

A related discussion, Viagra and women with MS was started.