Neurology Community
Wondering?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Wondering?

I'm a 23 yr. old transgender ftm. I've been having a good amount of pain in my left leg while walking mostly and it keeps getting worse. I just started getting bruises showing up on my outter thigh since last evening, but it was really sore before. I have not hit my leg or bumped it on anything really lately to get a bruise( actually now like spotted bruising). My big toe has been going numb for a few months now when stepping down certain ways. It started out a few years ago where I'd get pain under my knee, side of knee and sometimes hips. I've been struggling a lot lately since Marech with physical problems and things are finally starting to show with some stuff. More with vocal chords not really working much right now. I keep getting diarreah (diarrhea) often. I've lost about 18lbs.(128 in September and now down to 110) without trying to. The weight thing and nauseusness that does not help has been making me more weaker and more fatigue. It feels a lot where I can't think or function normally always. Almost sometimes like a confused feeling in my brain, like I'm just starting out as a little kid again or something sometimes. I know I'm not though. Not sure if that part makes sense. Been getting chest pains and immune system has just not been great at all. I'm on medical leave from school and just really frustrated. I feel really a lone at times. I have a lot of support in my community, but I feel a lone in the physical body sense at times. Can anyone give any ideas on how they might cope with things like this? Has anyone gone through things like this and it's taken awhile to get figured out? Well, if anyone has read this post of mine, thank you.
Tags: bruising, loss of appetite, nauseusness, lye injestion as child, vocal chord problems, diarreah, head confusion, sinus problems, fatigue, Joint Pain, Trach, Chest pains
The bruises are what throw me off. If it were just :"fogginess" in the head and the feeling of mental state regression, along with the numbness, I would probably say you have something psychologically or neurologically going on, such as an infection. You're also at the right age for the onset of various psychological illnesses---and I mean real illnesses that are caused by chemical imbalances, not that you're crazy, just so we're clear. These could both play in to the weight loss, along with the pain in the leg. It could be a nerve problem or something. But I can't name any I know of that cause the bruising...

These symptoms could be unrelated or related, that's the biggest problem I'm seeing here. There's a number of scary things this could be, as well, along with some things that won't affect you at all.

If I were you, I would go to a neurologist and psychologist, along with your regular doctor. Explain to them everything you're feeling and be very clear about what you're going through so they don't get mixed up.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help. Feel better!

~ em
I appreciate your comment, but I do for sure know it's not mental illness. I know that for sure because I have a psychiatrist and have had one since I was 15 and he thinks I'm doing well mentally. I still want to do actual activities that I love, I just haven't been able to during this period of not feeling well. I have been a little down, but only because I haven't been able to do what I enjoy. I've been having breathing problems and it's gotten worse. Finally though, a ear nose and throat doctor found out my vocal chords really aren't working much and that's what's been causing me not to be able to breathe that well and why I have been losing weight and getting fatigue often. So now things are starting to get figured out and I'm getting helped out a bit more. I know it's gonna be a bit of a process and I'm going to have to be patient, but if being patient helps me out in the long run to be able to function healthier and just plain function, I'm going to try my hardest to do so. Thanks again:)
Erik J.