Aa
A
A
Close
Worried About Symptoms
Hi! I am a 37 year old male. My mother has MS. In Feb. 2008 my first symptom appeared. It was a parasthesia in the tip of my left index finger. Then, within a few days, I started feeling cold sensations up both arms as though my arms had been dipped in cold water. I went to the doctor. She said she though it might be a neuropathy, possibly carpal tunnel. Later I began to feel weird sensations in my back and legs....not weakness really...more like there was a delay or fuzzy connection between my brain and those parts of my body. At times I felt almost like I had the flu. I was taking lipitor and read that some people experienced peripheral neuropathy on it so I stopped taking it. Within 2 days my symptoms were gone. I felt fine. I thought perhaps it was a coincidence so I went back on lipitor and began feeling many of the same symptoms. I went off again and the symptoms went away. That was in late March. I experienced no neurological symptoms for about 3 months. Then one night in early July I woke up with tingling in my hands (mainly in my ring an pinky fingers). That went away after 2 days. After about a week I had the parasthesia in my left index finger again. It lasted, on and off, for about 3 days. No symptoms for about 2-3 days. Then the tingling in both hands came back at night and tapered off after I woke up, but there was still a mild numbness. My heels and toes also tingle from time to time, but not as bad.

I've had no real vision issues....a few floaters, but nothing alarming. I do not seem to be weaker or off balance. I'm able to exercise and do yard/housework with no problem. There are days when I feel a little depressed and low on energy, but usually only for a few hours.

I do have anxiety disorder and have tried to tell myself that I'm being a hypochondriac about it. I have seen a GP who did some basic tests on my reflexes, eyes, etc. All were normal. She told me I COULD have an MRI or be referred to a neurologist. When I asked here what she would do if she were me she said she would probably wait to see how things progressed before doing anything else.

With my mom having MS I am just worried that I might have it too, but I do not know if my symptoms suggest MS, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, or what.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I take mirtazapine (60mg), Niacin, Folic Acid, Baby Aspirin, Daily Vitamin, Fish Oil and Garlic. I also have several fillings from the 70's-80's and wonder if the mercury in those could cause these symptoms.

Cancel
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703