Neurology Community
Worried about Ear fluttering

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Worried about Ear fluttering

Hi all

Theres a bit of history to me, I had fasiculations a while ago in my abdomn, they all cleared up, I have had them numerous other places on and off, they have gone etc.

I have been to doctors recently about a fluttering sound i have in my ear and they have said it is a tiny muscle the tensor tympani having fasiculations, but they did not seem concerned about it. Said some people can suffer from it, she tested my tongue movements and eyelid movements and said they are all fine. I did mention my fear of ALS (hyperchondriat) and she said in all the literature she has read she has never seen anyone present with ALS as a form of objective tinnitis. She read out the results of previous exams i have had done by general practitioners (not neurologists) and all the reflex tests, strength tests etc are reported as grossly normal.

I was wondering if any sufferers out there, or people who know the disease have ever heard of it, if you think mine could be ALS based on a simple ear twitch, (I cant seem to take no for an answer) ALSO, has anyone ever had the muscle cut. My doctor said the most common form of the tensor tympani being irritated is due to hyperanxiety, stress and also blobked eustacian tubes and air pressure imbalance. I have noticed it tends to happen when eating or when I burp.

Any ideas are much appreciated
This would NOT be a presenting symptom of ALS!!  Twitching is a LATE occurence in ALS.  You would already be very disabled.  Your doctor's description of what make that fluttering sensation in your ear sound extremely sensible and logical.  I know quite a bit about the workings of the middle and inner ear.

You need to get a grip on your health worry.  It will seriously disrupt your life.  My best wishes for you, Quix
I've had personal experience with ALS. My father in law had it and so did his sister. It's more prevalent in males than females but it was in their genes. I was told that my daughter can even carry it but never really exhibit any form of the ailment.
I observed my father in law, a healthy man run his farm, drive a tractor, work at a high school and was a really active man waste away into a man who couldn't speak, couldn't walk and required total home care. I remember them coming to care for him and hearing his suction machine. I couldn't believe that this illness does so much to the human body. They took him to the doctor because he was having difficulty swallowing. As months went by, he eventually lost his ability to speak. He would cry because of his difficulty but also because this is something that is a characteristic of the illness. At first he got around with the help of a walker, eventually he was bedridden. I think the hardest part was just seeing him so ill and knowing there was absolutely nothing we could do and this would not reverse or improve and he would become well again.
I remember losing my father in law...God Rest His Soul...
my apologies for the previous posting, sincerely...

NaniKai