Neurology Expert Forum
Your thoughts about having knee replacements with Charcot Marie Tooth
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Your thoughts about having knee replacements with Charcot Marie Tooth

Good morning,
I am a 42 y.o., female with CMT and really bad knees. Two thinkgs please. I have a pretty twisted ankle because of the CMT. I have already had a stress fracture on the medial malleolus that cracked wide open because it when undiagnosed. The ortho guy I saw at the time said he thought the fracture happened because of my twisted in ankle and I tend to believe him. I am in need of an orthopedic person or perhaps a podietrist to straighten out the ankle. My questions about this problems are, number one, do you know how they would straighten it with surgery and number two, do you by any chance have any contacts in Austin, San Antonio somewhere in these areas who I could see about fixing this problem? I have a lot of docs but I don't I have one who could sratighten me out so to speak.
Although I'm trying to wait until I get older, I've been told I need total knee replacements. My knees are bad bad! What are your thoughts about people with CMT having total knee replacements? I have heard that I don't want to do the replacements because the CMT effects the knees as well as the lower legs. But I can't live for 40 more years with these knees.
Thank you for your help!
Kelly