Neurology Community
a VP SHUNT

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

a VP SHUNT

Hello, I was wondering if a VP shunt can cause stomach problems that would be the cause of pain and nasuea?
Hello.

If you are referring to "abdominal problems", the VP shunt can cause infections, leading to abdominal pain. The shunt may get blocked, increasing the intracranial pressure, leading to the nausea.

Regards
hi, i currently have abdominal pain form my vp shunt, so i suspect, as ive had it every day since my last surgery on my distal end. which was over a 100 days ago now.

ive had two types of pains, i get a pain where i feel like im being stabbed low down, this is sharp and quick but may linger and strike again when you move.
(i believe thats my tube irritating and hitting on nerves)

the other pain ive experienced is on my right hand side between my hip and my ribs, a pain that takes me breathe away, feels like im being stabbed and something exploding inside of me, this also tends to linger and strike when it wants, but at other times you dont know its there.(ultrasound suggested that it was being caused by excess csf pockets in my abdomen in these areas.)

now you will also get pain from pseudocysts, infections, peritonitis, blockage.

or of course it may not be shunt related and we may just be looking for answers related to the shunt.

with my pain, i do tend to suffer from nausea a bit, not strongly but i do feel like i constantly feel 'travel sick' mildly.

i hope everything gets sorted real soon, im now on a list to have my vp shunt converted to a VA shunt, and put inot my atrium of my heart to absorb the csf instead of peritoneum, then we will know if it was indeed shunt related or not!

take care x
hi, my son has two vp shunts a few weeks ago he was sent home from school with a high fever. the doctor at the emergency room said he was catching the new virus and had a bad cough over a week. since a month ago my son has had on and off vomiting. since friday september 19 2014 he has been complaining about his stomach hurting. today he is still complaining of the pain in the same area. he now has a bit swelling where the pain is coming from. could the catheter be malfunctioning