Neurology Expert Forum
abdominal fluttering

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

abdominal fluttering

Good Morning Dr.

I am a 63 year old female who has been experiencing abdominal fluttering on and off for 5 weeks. It Is not pain just annoying. This started the day after I had a echocardigram done. It is a quivering sensation and sometimes I can feel it in my throat also.The sensation is not there 24/7 nor daily but is making me very anxious. sometimes I feel it is heart or gas or just spasms. My pulse is normal during these episodes, I do get a few palps now and again from  mitral valve reguratation

I do have IBS, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Myofascal pain, bulging disc's in my neck and artritis, severe arthritis in my mid thorax with bone spurs and Mitral valve reguratation, with an excursion of 2.4.

The only meds. I take are a anti-anxiety pill, Serax, Foltx and 81 mgs aspirin. I also use metamucil I just had a colonostopy done in Jan, four tiny polps were removed and I have diverticulous.

Could you shed any light on this for me. I am concerned that the Echo may have caused this because of pushing into the stomach to check the Aorta. I did take notice that the Serax seems to help, I may just be being aware of the abominal area more so now. I have had this before but not this this long of a period of time.

Thank you so much for your time, Line

Although your description is not typical, the sensations may potentially be mild seizures, and this could be evaluated with an EEG (an electrical brainwave study available in most neurology centers)

Apart from irritation or muscle spasms of the abdominal musculature, I'm not sure what else it could be from a neurological point of view. If the description or distribution of the sensation was in a more band like pattern around the abdomen, a compression or inflammation of a thoracic nerve root would be a possibility, that could be evaluated with a limited EMG study (needle electrical examination of the peripheral nerves)

Hi Line,  I have the same thing happening, the abdominal fluttering.  The Dr. said it was in my head, that he never heard of it.  I am sorry you have that symptom, but now I know that others are annoyed with this problem, and that it is not "all in my head".  I hope you find relief.
Thank you for your comment, I hope you come back to read this. I have read on IBS boards that people get these sensations and call them their quivers, aliens in their gut and one guy really had a good description, he said he thinks he swallowed a tuning fork at smetime, he says that is what the sensations feel like to him. I am still getting them off and on also feels like my stomach jumps once in awhile. Found out you can have IBS without the bowel symtons. I am sure the Dr. is right that it is muscular spasms or else gas.

Hope you are doing better, this is annoying.

Line
Hi. I'm 42 and have had this symptom for about a month. It feels so weird. I don't have IBS (that I know of), but this sensation is annoying. Come to think of it, I have had bouts of diarrhea for the past week. I'm going to do more research, but will probably call my doctor next week. If anyone else has any information, please contact me: ***@****. Thanks so much.
I have also had this going on for a couple weeks now.  I'm 47.  It feels like there is a bird flapping around in my stomach (in the center between my rib cage, just below my breasts).  It doesn't hurt, but sometimes it's so intense I can see it move on the outside.  I have never had a baby but it seems like a baby moving would feel that way.  I am waiting to hear back from my doctor, they are looking at potential heart issues, but it seems in the wrong place to have anything to do with my heart.  I have checked my pulse while this is happening and it does not change.  There is no pain or anything associated with it, but I want to know what is causing it and if I should be concerned.
Thanks for the reponses. Has anyone found out what this is? I asked my Chiropractor and he said they are muscle spasms. I agree that it is not heart related you would feel an irregular heart beat in your pulse.Mine has improved, getting the fluttering or a short period of time off and on.I go to my G/P next month and will discuss it with her, if I still have it. but really hate too as she practices preventive medicene and will be sending me for all sorts of tests.I have had this before but not for a long period of time like this has been going on for.

Linda

A related discussion, abdominal fluttering was started.
A related discussion, Adbominal Fluttering was started.
A related discussion, Fluttering In Stomach was started.
A related discussion, Long term nausea and abdominal flutters was started.