abdominal fluttering

I've been reading the forum of others that are going through abdominal fluttering and it's freaking me out.  I have Fibromyalgia and Myofacial pain syndrome and I don't think the abdominal fluttering has anything to do with either condition.  I do have a child and the fluttering feels just like the fetus moving around and I KNOW I'm not pregnant.  It's to the point of me being able to watch my abdomen move and expecting a fart to come out and I get nothing.  This fluttering or whatever it is has been going on for a month or so and figuring it was just gas I blew it off.  I would call my doctor and question them, but how stupid would I feel if it's a gas problem.  If anyone can point me any direction it would be helpful.  No, the fluttering is not painful.  It's just wrong to see or feel and not know what the heck it is.

Regina

This discussion is related to abdominal fluttering.

How are you?
There are a few possibilities here. Firstly the abdominal fluttering could be due to irritation of peripheral nerves. An EMG test will be helpful in diagnosing it.
The other possibility is that these sensations are mild seizures.
I would suggest you to consult an experienced neurologist about it. Take care!
Did you ever figure out what your abdominal fluttering was caused by? It just started with me and it is very irritating. I have never experienced anything like this except when I was pregnant and I know I am not.
I also have been having this off and on for two years now. I just found out I have endometriosis. I also have fibromyalgia, but this is a feeling of being pregnant and is usually in the same spot every time (above hairline). I can see it as can other people. Its not painful and when I am in a lot of pain from other problems it isn't worse. It comes and goes! HELP!
I am experiencing fluttering in my upper abdominal area.  It occurs when I am lying down on my left side.  I have a sliding hiatal hernia and mitral valve prolapse in addition to a mild case of scoliosis.  The fluttering is not painful.  Could it be the lower esophageal valve, if there is such a thing, that flutters due to the hernia?
I am a female, 51 years old, in relatively good health although I do suffer some acid reflux.  I am not even remotely peri-menopausal according to a recent blood and hormone work-up. Up until 12 years ago, I suffered from Amenorrhea (few or no menstrual periods), but was able to detect when I was ovulating through the Billings Method, and I gave birth to 3 full-term babies (now aged 19, 22, 24).  I should add I have had 6 miscarriages, most recently a year ago when I was 50.  My periods commenced when I was 39, and are fairly regular now, between 21 - 24 days apart. My period started yesterday, so I'm sure I'm not pregnant now.

In recent weeks, I have been experiencing mysterious "fluttering" sensations in my abdomen.  They don't show externally, but I can certainly feel them inside.  They last only a few seconds, happen every few minutes almost all day long, and feel distinctly like something is moving or "turning around" inside me!  Truly, it feels like the flutters of a baby moving inside at the  5 - 6 month gestation point.  The locus of this fluttering or movement seems to be mostly on the lower left side of my abdoment, toward the front, maybe 3 inches from my bellybutton.  Is it gas?  Is it a twisted bowel?  Is it a fibrillation of a large abdominal artery?  I can't tell.

I have spent hours on the Internet trying to find and explanation for these strange symptoms.  I have also been trying to think about what changes I've made recently in my diet and lifestyle.  Eight weeks ago I joined a walking circuit group, and 5 to 6 times a week I walk 45 - 90 minute circuits indoors (I am a letter carrier and animal licence compliance officer and my jobs entail a great deal of walking, for many hours, daily).  I maintain a very healthy: no smoking, no drugs, no drinking, good sleep habits, eat very little meat, eat lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts.  Two months ago I also introduced probiotics to my diet, and I drink 2 liquid yogurts per day.  There is a slight pouching of my stomach which I attribute to multiple pregnancies in the past.

What could cause this annoying  fluttering?
March 1 2010
I myself have been going threw the same thing,the fluttering is just above my hairline aswell an i defo no im not pregnant,i suffer from fibroymilga an IBS,an that has got worse so i thot it was that,but for some years now i have been having a sharp pain in my side when im due a period,so the hospital put the merina coil in but it hasnt stoped the pain,an gyney have checked me for every thing an iv got the all clear.I mention to the doctor the last time i was down could i have endometriosis as i have searched the net an this is all im coming up with,lately in the past 4 months i have been taking 3 periods a mth an dont no whats gon on,i have 2 children an healthy births,had my womb fixed and pulled forward when i was in my 20's and im 43 now.

What is going on inside me,im also under investion because i am alwas tender to touch when pushing into my stomach as gyne couldnt find anything...i dont whant to pester my doctor again as im always up with the pain of my fibroymilga,
please help..
07/12/2010
I have been having a small fluttering sensation (that feels like a muscle twitch) in my lower abdominal area just to the left of my navel for about 2 weeks.  It is not painful.....it's an almost pleasant sensation.  I wonder if it could have started in the spinal area?  I exercise every morning and am very active at work.  Yes, there is a lot of stress, and I spend hours on the computer catching up on work in the evenings that I don't have time to do during the day when I'm teaching.  I think a vacation would do wonders for me!
I started have the same fluttering sensation a couple days ago as well, however I went 21 months without intercourse after having my second child (naturally and healthy).Recently having intercourse (with a condom), I started feeling the fluttering a couple hours afterward. It's a weird feeling and feels like the fluttering of a little one. I have been worried about this, this whole time. I have been trying to think if it's gas or spasms from muscles that haven't been used for a while.  I know I'm not pregnant.  It would be way to soon to start feeling anything.
Please Help.....