Neurology Expert Forum
abnormal NCS and MRI Lumbar Spine

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

abnormal NCS and MRI Lumbar Spine

I have had leg numbness/weakness over 5 yr.  Normal MRI 2yr. ago. Abnormal Sural Nerve bx.  Recent abn. NCS and Lumbar Spine MRI. I am concerned that the amount of weakness and offbalance along with sometimes not being able to move my legs properly are not solely due to the central disc protrusion.  There is only minimal effacement of fluid from the thecal sac (I'm not even sure what that means).  But can that cause nerve degeneration as stated on nerve biopsy?  I feel like something is slowely eating away my ability to move both legs and arms.  Sometimes the pain down my hips and legs is unbareable.  Normal MRI of brain.  Neurologist wants to stop looking at other causes of these problems now that the MRI result shows herniation.  I honestly feel like they are missing something.  I've had the problems worsening over 5 yrs. and normal scans up until now.  Is there some disorder, disease that wastes away or degenerates nerves?  My grandfather, they thought had Huntington's Disease dx 35 yrs ago.  My gene test was Neg.  His dx could have been wrong I guess.  But I am exhibiting his unstable walk, tremors at times, and other strange things.  I have disphagia, gastroporesis, bladder and intestinal problems, and something at some time has affected the left ventricle of my heart. Any ideas on how this nerve/muscle problem is all connected?  How is this all caused from a small herniated disc?
Help!
Lene
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet unfortunately, especially without more details of your history, exam and results.

Like wise I'm not sure how bad the MRI spine is - the thecal sac is the bag of fluid around teh spinal cord that protects it. Effacement means that the disc is indenting into the fluid space but does not appear to indent the spinal cord itself. Whereas sometimes this can still cause symtpoms is certain positions, per the scan report the spinal cord is not damaged or compressed. Therefore, it may be premature to attribute all your problems to a disc.

Other possibilitues include an immune mediated neuropathy (such as CIDP), drug/metabolic or nutritional related neuropathy or monoclonal protein realted neuropathy. Ask your doctor about wather these fit in with your test results and whether testing for these problems, such as analysis of spinal fluid and more blood tests, are needed .
I had a central herniated disc which is not a simple herniated disc and can result in compression and death of the nerves in the spinal cord or cauda equina.  If left untreated this can in fact result in the loss of function of the legs (both) sensory and motor.  I am in a wheelchair and bilateral leg braces due to a central herniated disc and it is progressing.  I have lost the use of both my bowels and bladder and have no sexual function due to a central herniated disc.  The damage to the nerves in my spinal cord from a central herniated disc is causing problems in my upper spinal cord resulting in loss of strength in my arms and hands, and resulting in tremors and jerking spasms of the muscles in all four extremities. When the nerve roots die from compression due to a central herniated disc there is a slim chance they may eventually grow back or not, my nerves were compressed for seven months not the 48 hours that is required for a possible recovery so my chances are mute.
I say see the neurosurgeon and have whatever surgery they recommend and don't mess around, you may end up like me!