abnormal csf results
My husband, an insulin diabetic, developed the rare gastrointestinal condition called sclerosing mesenteritis, which symptoms were first noticed a year ago, but that Mayo diagnosed from exploratory surgery tissue samples taken in June. This condition is a chronic inflamation of the gut that produces an inability to absorb nutition and serious pain and fevers. He had become gradually emaciated and couldn't sleep.In the same time period of one year, he has developed a mental "fogginess" that hasn't gone away, even after treatment with steroids improved the s.m., helping him gain back the weight he lost and restoring his ability to sleep. Mayo did not find symptoms for Alzheimer's or infections or molds, etc. in a spinal tap on him in June. He got another spinal tap, at Morton Plant as Mayo wanted it checked again. We the results today. The protein in his csf is in the triple digits, his RBC is 5, and his glucose is 39.
I realized I hadn't asked a specific question. The question is what is the likely cause of these symptoms?