Neurology Community
aching arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

aching arms

I am a 54 year old woman and as yet haven't started the menopause.  I am reasonably fit and am the right weight for my height. I do not smoke or drink and eat quite healthily.  I work in an office but do not do anything that is that repetitive.

For the last 8 weeks I have been having pains in my right arm, mostly from the elbow to my wrist.  The pain can come on any time and has woken me at night.  A week ago I started to get the same pain in my left arm but has not as yet affected my wrist as much. I have now had 4 painful and restless nights sleep.  At its worse I cannot pick up a cup or book without discomfort.  Today both arms have been aching almost continuously.  Has anyone any suggestions please.

Avatar n tn
Hi.

Do you experience any neck pain? Is the wrist painful when you flex it (bend it with your palms facing the ground)? Any other joints that are in pain?

The symptoms you are experiencing are non-specific and could be caused by many conditions, including nerve compression at the spine, carpal tunnel syndrome, or even arthritis.

It would be advisable to consult a physician to evaluate your symptoms. In the meantime, you could take over-the-counter pain medications as well as apply ice/cold packs if the affected area is inflamed and swelling, or heat for 15-20 minutes, if there is no swelling or redness in the painful areas.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply.  I am not experiencing any neck pain.  No the wrist isn't painful when I flex it, although I am sure it would have been a few months ago.  My left arm became extremely painful shortly after posting my symptons on this site but it has since stopped hurting.  My right arm however although very much improved (ie I can now lift things without discomfort) has now started to ache again and was keeping me awake last night.  I have been referred to a neourologist by my doctor but cancelled the last appointment thinking I was getting better.  I will wait and see how things go and if necessary get another appointment.  It has been nearly 4 months since the first symptons appeared.

Becra
Avatar n tn
Hi.

If your symptoms do persist, it would be advisable to consult a physician to evaluate your symptoms. Try to ask him also if arthritis might be a possible concern.

At the moment, you shouldn't try to lift heavy loads with the affected arm as this might aggravate your symptoms.

Good luck.