Neurology Expert Forum
aching legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

aching legs

please help, sine oct 07 i have had problems which startes with a werid sensation in foot, that has now gone and i am left with these chronic aching legs, i have seen a neuroglist 2 times and he said i am fit and well. bloods all fine but these aching legs are so miserable i just don't know what to do with them to make them better. i am 31 with 2 boys. i walk normally but when i am on them for too lonf they ache, if i sit for too long they ache,  i am worried about motor neurons and ms, does this present like this. if the ache is not there then i have a werid sensation in the lower calfs like a burning feeling. i don't like my legs being touched. please could you give me some advice. the neuroglist doesn't think tests are needed. could this be me being anxious. also i have all over body twiching as well.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Your symptoms of aching in the feet can be consistant with peripheral neuropathy, which is a condition caused by damage to the small nerves in your legs, usually happens in a length-dependant fashion, meaning it typically affects the peripheral parts first (feet) then as time goes by it can progress to involve more proximal areas like the legs. The fact that your symptoms started in the feet then moved to the legs while the feet symptoms resolve is kind of atypical but still can be consistant with neuropathy. MS is less likely if you have symmetric symptoms on both sides that only involve sensory disturbance and pain with no weakness. same applies to motor neuron disease which should cause some muscle weakness rather than just pain and burning.

There are different causes for peripheral neuropathy, the common ones include Diabetes, thyroid disease, vitamin/mineral deficiency (like vitamin B12, folate, copper), alcoholism.

You need to be examined by a neurologist to detect any neurological deficits, in typical neuropathy there might be some loss of sensation perception in the affected areas. a thorough exam is needed to look for any other deficits that can reflect another disease process. Then workup involves lab work to detect the common causes of neuropathy (check for diabetes or "pre-diabetes", thyroid disease, vitamin levels, protein abnormalities...etc), depending on the result of the neurological exam and the initial workup you might need some additional testing to detect any nerve damage (this might include electro-diagnostic testing with EMG or nerve conduction studies, nerve/skin biopsy..etc)

treatment includes treating any underlying condition (if any is detected), and symptomatic treatment for pain control, several medications can be used, like Neurontin, Lyrica, Cymbalta...etc.

Thanks for using the forum. Good luck.
I have the most excrutiating pain from my lower back to my feet I have been to drs been on medication nothing helps ppl tell me its my weight I am 80kgs and about 1.5m could that be a problem.. BUt then again my aunt who's as thin as a rake has the same problem helllp
A related discussion, Aching legs was started.