Neurology Expert Forum
adenoids and pressure in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

adenoids and pressure in head

I am 20 year old female with what feels like water in my ears and head for a period of over 4 years. I also have pressure in my head. Once in awhile I get dizzy. I had a sinus Catscan and it showed that my adenoids (adenoids) are slightly enlarged and I have a deviated septum. The Doctor said I should have a Septoplasty/ Submucus Resection of Turbinates and a Adenoidectomy. The doctor doesn't know if the surgery will definately help with the water I feel in my head. But he said I should have the sugery within the next 6 months to prevent major sinus problems. I am going to get a second opinion but do you think the dizziness could be caused by all the above? Do you think it's a good idea to have the surgery? Thank you.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes. From the symptoms you provided it is likely that you have migraine headaches (or migraine equivalents).  Migraine headaches can occur with symptoms without actual head pain (migraine equivalents) Most headache experts no longer believe that "sinus headaches" exist.  Of course a headache can be a symptom of acute sinusitis (fever, purulent nasal discharge, facial pain), but is unlikely that sinus problems cause chronic headaches.  These headaches often turn out to be migraines. One of the frequent symptoms of migraines is Dizziness.
   That being said, you should have an MRI brain with contrast to rule out other pathology (CT is not adequate).
   In addition it sounds like you have serious problems with your sinuses that I would leave to the discression to your ENT for management. I would not expect your symptoms to go away after the surgery, but they may if it is your sinuses that are triggering migraine headaches.
   I would recommend that you see a Neurologist that specializes in headaches to further evaluate your head sensations and dizziness.