Neurology Expert Forum
after accident neck and back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

after accident neck and back pain

On Christmas day 99, my family was involved in a car accident.  We were traveling about 50mph before the brakes were applied and skided about 40 feet before impact.  The hit occurred in the front passenger side, where I was sitting.  In addition, my uncle, who weighs about 300 lbs was directly behind me. Pushing the passenger seat to the extreme forward position. Four days later I saw a physician, who diagnosed soft muscle tissue damage.  He informed me that the pain would subside in a few weeks. Instead, the pain is worse. It starts at my neck and down my spine.  There is a tender spot in the middle of my back.  I also get pain down my left arm and leg. It hurts to turn my neck to the left.  My pain is worse when sitting standing or sleeping.  Nothing seems to help take the pain away completly.  I was sent to a specialist, who was more concerned that there was a litigation involved than explaining my pain.  I sit all day at work and asked for a short leave of absence till my physical therapy is over, and was denied.  My pain worsens at work, I also experience headaches at the base of my skull, and shoulder pain.  The doctor did notice something in the 4th and 5th vertabre but did not explain this to me.  Should I ask for an mri or get a second opinion. I have been doing neck and back exercises, but nothing helps.  Your timely response would greatly be appreciated.  diane
Dear Diane:

Sorry to hear about your pain.  Unfortunately, many see a patient as yourself as a potential lawsuit.  Since you already know this, I think is it best to tell people upfront you just want to findout if there is a problem and become painfree.  I am not sure what someone would find without doing an MRI or CT.  I think I would get a second opinion from a neurologist who you can explain things to.  Many times it takes many months for recovery to happen.  I would try and put your mindset on the long battle for pain free living and just expect things to take awhile.  Get a second opinion, and maybe a question to your PT about someone who is good might help.  I hope that things work out and you eventually become pain free.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
After a care accident, where the impact was small to moderate, the MRI results are that I have a disc bulge in my neck, torn and inflammed muscles in my left shoulder with heavy to severe spasms. My orthopedist says that I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand and arm. I am feeling discomfort in my back (lower), radiating pain in my neck and left arm, and constant pain in my left shoulder? Question: Are these permanent injuries? And if my back hurts so much, why didn't anything come up abnormal on the MRI?
Dear Thomas:

The carpel tunnel is not from your auto accident.  It is caused by entrapment of your median nerve at the wrist and is the result of long term use of your hand/wrist.  The other things you describe may or may not be related to the accident.  It may be that you have had a cervical disc for some time but the accident just pushed things over the edge.  I cannot tell from what you tell me.

CCF Neuro MD
A related discussion, Pain was started.