anaplastic astrocytoma
what is the prognosis of anaplastic astrocytoma? My friend who is 20 was just diagnosed with a grade 3-4 AA. He has a right sided hemiparesis. Surgery was not an option. He is to undergo radiation and chemo together for 6 weeks followed by a repeat MRI. And, is there a chance he'll get his right side back?  Thank you
Hi Casey,
I can understand your feelings towards your friend.
The prognosis of anaplastic astrocytoma depends on grade of tumor. The higher the grade, more malignant is the tumor.
More malignant the tumor, poorer is the prognosis. If prognosis for a particular tumor is poor suggests that 5 year survival rate after all treatment would be minimal.
The standard therapy continues to be same like surgical resection followed by involved- field radiation therapy, although patient outcome is poor.
His right sided hemi paresis I assume is due to compressive pathology of tumor.
Once after radiation therapy and chemotherapy the size on MRI of the tumor has decreased, I feel then he might have improve on his right side.
Hope this helps you.
Bye.