anerysm
How large does an anurysm have to get before the dr. will consider removing them? I have 2 one is a 2cm the other a 8cm.They are located at the base of my brain. Any info will be helpful
Hi, Thank you for your question. Cerebral or brain aneurysm is an abnormal widening a brain blood vessel at its weakened area. This may occur as a congenital (present since birth, familial) or may occur later in life due to injury, birth defects, or neurological disorder and it is life-threatening. Most serious consequence is stroke that may occur if this bursts in the brain. Factors that may cause this or contribute to its rupture are smoking, hypertension, head injury, family history of brain aneurysms (so sisters may have). Common symptoms could be loss of vision, headache, eye and neck pain, seizures, paralysis, gait disturbances etc. Investigations like CT angiography, MRI, CSF examination (presence of blood) are essential to reach at diagnosis here. Neurosurgery is the mainstay of treatment that may be suggested by a neurologist after examination. Hope this information proves helpful to you.
You ask a very interesting question.

This is an extremely complicated risk-benefit question.

Unfortunately there is mortality associated with such procedures. A physician must think long and hard before fooling with them. The factors to take into consideration is the probability they may rupture. As long as things are stabile, the physician may decide to suggest the patient go along as if nothing has happened. Sometimes they are inoperable. In which case the situation is one of watchful waiting.

Some people go a very long time with these defects before they cause problems.

I would have some faith in my physician.  The decision to operate is a judgemental call.

You might want to get a second in-person opinion from another doctor, but I would not criticize the decision to wait.

My prayers are with you.