Neurology Expert Forum
anesthesia dolorosa

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

anesthesia dolorosa

have there been any new developments in treatment of anesthesia dolorosa? do you know of any doctors in East Tennessee who have heard of this condition and are familiar with treatment options?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

As you may know, anesthesia dolorosa is the termed used to describe spontaneous painful tingles that occur after nerve damage. This nerve damage may have been traumatic or due to other unintentional pathologies or it may be the result of surgery to a nerve, as occurs with microvascular decompression for disorders such as trigeminal neuralgia. Treatment for anesthesia dolorosa includes oral agents such as gabapentin and pregabalin and other agents such as tricyclic antidepressants and other antidepressants such as duloxetine (Cymbalta), topical agents, blocks, and in some cases, depending on the distribution of the pain, stimulation. For example, spinal cord stimulation has been applied for anesthesia dolorosa affecting the lower extremities after spine surgeries or trauma.

Evaluation by a pain management specialist with expertise in spinal cord stimulation and other interventions for pain is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, lateral cutaneous nerve damage was started.