Neurology Community
ankle clonus

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ankle clonus

My neurologist told me I have ankle clonus on my left ankle. Is it possible that I am healthy but I happen to have clonus? Or, is ankle clonus always an indication of an underlying issue? Brief recap; non stop tingles both calfs, muscle twitching all over body, stiff legs sometimes, almost had to force myself to walk when this all started but that got better, legs very defined especially hamstrings (spasticity?), some fatigue. I have been to 3 different docs for all kinds of testing including 2 EMG's, MRI of spine and brain, SSER/SSEP. A lot of blood work also. All test have come back normal except they discovered carpel tunnel during one of the tests. (shock test?) I've posted here last year when my symptoms started.....still have them! uuggghhh! They do come and go a bit.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Ankle clonus rarely occurs by itself. Usually, there are pathologic reflexes such as a Babinski's sign on the lower extremities. The patient usually also will complain of weakness and may be found to have weakness when the muscles are tested. If the ankle clonus is long-standing, there will be atrophy. There will also frequently be sensory findings, as well as sensory complaints. Finally, with bilateral ankle clonus there will often be hyperactive reflexes throughout the lower extremities and sometimes in the upper extremities. If it is unilateral, there is  possibility of a cerebral disorder. If there is headache and papilledema, that disorder is most likely a space-occupying lesion of the brain such as a brain tumor, abscess, or hematoma. If there is hemiparesis and it is acute in onset, there is most likely an occlusion of one of the cerebral arteries, whereas if the hemiparesis is gradual in onset, one should consider multiple sclerosis and, once again, a brain tumor. Ankle clonus associated with monoplegia is more likely related to a spinal cord tumor, but a parasagittal tumor could also be present. Bilateral ankle clonus is more likely due to a disorder of the spinal cord such as a spinal cord tumor, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or multiple sclerosis. Syringomyelia and Friedreich's ataxia may also present with bilateral ankle clonus. However, if there are cranial nerve signs, one must consider a brain stem tumor as well as other degenerative diseases of the brain and brain stem. Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !
Thank you for the answer. Not sure I comprehend all the verbage but I will look it up. After receiveing my MRI results my doctor told me I do not have MS, however, I've heard that it can take a while to diagnose MS. Also, after my EMG tests I was told that 99% sure I do not have ALS. Is it possible that MS could go undetected but still have the symptoms?
I was diagnosed with OA last 2008 in my left knee and in 2009 I was diagnosed with Cervical Spinal Stenosis from C-4 to C-7 and my T-1 and T-2 was affected too, but fortunately I had a surgery 2010 February with laminectomy and fusion  and it was successful, but until now my  left foot or ankle will shake every morning the first time I get up from bed it's not severe enough to feel very annoyed I have all MRI's I don't have MS. Right now I'm not yet fully recovered from my surgery, does my foot shaking will eventually went away after I healed completely?

ging35