Neurology Expert Forum
anticardiolipin antibodies

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

anticardiolipin antibodies

I am 18 years old and was diagnosed for anticardiolipin antibodies about 3 years ago. Since then, I receive a daily dose of Aspirin to prevent complications.
My last blood test showed that I don't currently have the antibodies, but I have all the symptoms. Does this mean I don't have the condition any more? And if I do, what else can I do to control it?
P.s. - where can I find more information about this condition?
Dear Yula:

Sorry that you have been diagnosed with having anticardiolipin antibodies.  You have probably read alot about what they are and how they are associated with cardiovascular events such as stroke.  Research is still probing into what it means to have these antibodies.  What the studies thus far have suggested is that you need to have moderate to high levels of these antibodies to predispose you to an event.  There are likely multiple factors involved and having just the antibodies probably has little effect on stoke.  However, if you take birth control pills, are obese, smoke, etc all of these thogether can increase your risk for stroke or MI.  We find that these antibodies can vary in their level.  Some illness even cause them, such as viral illness.  Although we think that you have to be genetically predisposed.  So, the answer to your question is to minimize the other risk factors that compound having anticardiolipin antibodies.  Exercise, stay slim, eat a correct diet, don't smoke or do drugs, minimize alcohol etc.

I hope that I answered your question.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
what is the test for anticadiolipin antibodies????  I would ne interested to know because I am taking asprin also to preven clotting but I am not aware of any test that was done to sheck me for them.
Dear Tracey:

The antibodies are found in the serum and a simple blood draw will allow their detection.  Depending on the other factors involved, atrial fibrillation, ventricle wall motion dyskinesia, athrosclerosis, Leiden V, etc. aspirin is a good first line medication for the prevention of stroke.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am so sorry to keep asking these questions but i am desperate for find a reason for the many symptoms that I have-I want to ask my doctor straight out if he has done this test-is you can tell me what is the name of this blood draw to detect these antibodies
Dear Tracey:

Serum anticardiolipin IgG and IgA levels.

CCF Neuro MD
I have a question about anticardigan anti-bodies and anti phospholipids....I had blood work done for both of these my anticardigan was normal but my anti-phospholipids was high 320, what does this mean?
Dear Christine:

The antiphosholipid antibody can be seen in many disorders.  However, in the proper context they can be a sign of increased risk for MI and Stroke.  When the antibodies are present and there are other risk factors such as infection, high blood pressure, smoking, obesity, diabetes, collagen vascular disorders, and some genetic abnormalities such as Leiden Factor V, thrombin, PMA-1, etc. there is an added risk for the occurence of MI and stroke.  It doesn't mean that you will have a stroke of MI immediately, just that you are at increased risk.  Women who have high antiphosphate lipid antibodies have an increase risk of spontaneous abortions, vascular problems etc.
I hope I help you alittle.

Sincerely,

I also have four leisons on my Brain,one within the mid parietal gray/white junction, another adjacent to the left head of the caudate nucleus, ad the third within the left insula and the fourth within the right insular cortex. I also have a enlarged liver, hyperdense area on my spleen, top normal pancreatic head, and a small solid nodule on my thyroid...I have many pin point red dots on my arms and chest...some fade when pressed on others don't. I have a very painful right hip and numerous bone pain in different areas, this has been going on since my Total Hysterectomy in 94. there is some numbness on my right side of my face tingleing on my head and I bruise easily..Most days I don't feel well...there was an episode where I had to go to the emergency room for severe neck spasms...and also in the begining of all this in 94 my neck was very stiff. My neck still gets stiff but not for as long as it did..Does any of this have to do with the high anti-phospholid?....if not could you try and give me an idea of what is going on with me...My Drs. are confused and call me a hard case. My rheumy Dx me with Fms.. Could this be Ms, Lupus, Vasculitis or Lyme?
sorry about he double post...I am new to this. also wanted to tell you I have a gallbladder that has a 15% ejection My surgeon wants to take it out on the 28th of Sept..With every thing else going on with me i am afraid surgery will make me worse..he thinks I have to much scare tissue for the laproscope..Should I be concerned?
Dear Christine:

If your gall bladder is not functioning properly and you have symtpoms that you cannot tolerate, then you need the surgery.  You might try and if your overweight, to loose the weight.  I think that the FMG is not the correct diagnosis, but again without examining you I cannot give you an accurate diagnosis.  Since you have changes on your MRI, I suggest that you seek another opinion about possibilities.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Christine,
If you are still reading this page, please contact me.  I have several of the same symptoms as you, and now I have had a headache for 3 weeks, my balance and coordination are way off.  I can't remember things.  I am not me any more, if you can understand that.  I have had high anticardiolipens for 7 years, with other symptoms, including headaches.  Recently (responding to the increased headaches) I have had 2 MRIs that show brain lesions.  My Neurosurgeon promised me that he would help me and then forgot about me.  I have been so distressed.  I have a great rheumatologist who has been helping me.  Please email me!  I need answers if not help!
***@****
thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
I am aged 55 and have: antibodies to cardiolipin at 12 GPL U/ml (<6); C-reactive protein  minimally elevated to 10 mg/L (<5); lymphopenia due to reduction in all T and B lymphocytes; peri-ventricular white matter lesions; elevated cholesterol & triglycerides ( a recent change - the levels always used to be in the "protection probable" range); Behcet's syndrome; a history of 2 episodes of sudden cyanosis requiring oxygen; a history of sleep apnoea (over 100 'events' in one night when monitored at a sleep clinic - but not now occurring).
Childhood history of pericarditis and pleural effusions, with enlarged heart (x3) - but now presumably normal size - ECG  shows long QT interval (I have a tendency to sudden sensation as if my heart loses rhythm and I'm going to collapse - which fortunately passes).

In spite of all this I feel and look well!  My question is, is it likely to be safe for me to fly?  I am trying to decide whether or not to embark on a flight from London England to New Zealand - 2 flights of about 12 hours duration each to get there and then the same to get back 2 weeks later.  Although it would be nice to go, the trip is not a "must do" trip and I only want to undertake it if it seems a safe bet. I wonder about the risk of thrombosis?  

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.  

Dear Janet:

I air plane flight should be okay.  The cabin is pressurized so there shouldn't be any problems with oxygen content etc.  However, make sure you drink plenty of fluids as the air in airplanes is extremely dry (humidity-wise).

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I always have extremley cold hands, to the point where they are purplish/blue when I'm not wearing gloves.  What could this be a result of?
Dear Tom:

Without doing an examination, history, etc it is impossible to tell you.  It could arise from poor circulation due to a heart problem, collagen vascular disease, kidney problem, neuropathy, stroke, medications, autoimmune disorder, rheumatoid arthritis, amyloidosis, mitochondrial disease, multiple systemic atrophy, infection, ......

CCF Neuro MD
Is his heridity?
Dear Kathy McGovern:

It is something that is passed on by your genes.  An example is eye color, blood type etc.

CCF Neuro MD
I have tested positive for anticardiolipin antibodies on two tests in the past year.  Fourteen years ago and 10 years ago, respectively, I had a retinal vein occlusion and a retinal artery occlusion.  I was on aspirin therapy for five years without a retinal event, but am now on Coumadin (5mg/day--INR between 2.5 and 3.5) because of the positive anticardiolipin findings. I'm wondering whether I can safely switch back to aspirin.
Dear Ken:

I can't answer your question, you'll have to talk to your physician who is ordering the coumadin.

CCF Neuro MD
What are anticardiolipin antibodies and how do they affect pseudotumor cerebri?
Dear Ms. Hamilton:

Anticardiolipin antibodies are made to negatively charaged lipids found in the mitochondria inner membrane.  They are seen after viral infections, stroke, etc.  They are also found in some without any insult.  We are not sure of the reason.  There is no known correlation between pseudotumor cerebri and anticardiolipin antibodies that I know of.

CCF Neuro MD
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
I was diagnosed with Lupus 12 years ago and 1 year ago I was told that I now also have anticardiolipin antibodies.
I am scheduled for a surgical proceedure in 2 weeks. My Rheumatologist told me to discontinue the 81% asprin I take daily since being diagnosed with anticardiolipin antibodies 10 days prior to my surgery. Do I need to then be concerned with blood clotting?
Dear Denise:

If you don't stop the aspirin, you will have a increased chance of bleeding after surgery.  Ten days is actually a short time to stop, but should be adequate.  I would not worry about clotting.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
yula, i have the same condition and i was told by my doctor that it is a condition that never goes away.  it might go into remission and thus show no signs of it in bloodwork but it is still there and it will still affect your body. look at the lupas sights for more info on it.  The lupas foundation of america had the most.  it is related to lupas and there is a greater chance for you and me to get lupas because we have the condition.  I was told to stay out of the sun and always wear a hat and sunsceen if I do go in the sun.  If you are photosensitive then the lupas will develop much quicker if you spend time in the sun.  sucks uh!
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
I was just done lab work and was informed that my Anticardiolipin AB, IgG, QN came back very high (80) It also came back that my platelets SED RATE also was high (26) The other thing was my coagulation Studies INr came back (74.9) What the all this mean and does this affect me have a complicated pregnancy if I ever become prenant in the future.  (Iwas told that I was high risk becase of all these factors.  Olease inform me what steps need to be taken!  I am also allergic to asprin!!! Can you please help me?
Dear Michelle:

I do not know what a high platelet sedimentation rate means????  Do you have the Leiden mutation?  You are more prone to coagulation of your platelets and therefore things like stroke, MI, DVT, etc.  I would think that your family physician would be following you closely.  Since he or she knows your history best, I will leave it up to him/her to give you anti-platelet medications.

CCF Neuro MD
I am currently trying to get pregnant and have tested as of January this year in the low positive range for IgG AB (15 and 19), positive (1:80)for Smooth Muscle AB, and have a 40/diffuse result on my ANA. My FSH level has been as high as 38 (4 months ago) and has dropped to 19 as of a month ago.  I have been taking a baby aspirin daily for the past three months.

What is the relationship between anticardiolipins and FSH?  I am 39 years old and my menstrual cycle has ranged from 42 to 61 days in length since my second miscarriage last August.  I did have a D and C as I was in my 16th week. My OB does not think this past miscarriage was related to my anticardiolipins. I do have a toddler and that pregnancy was uneventful.

I am adopted and have no information on my medical hastory.
I have no clinical symptoms other than tingling in my feet every once in awhile.

I am trying to find information on the relationship between a sudden change in fertility and anticardiolipins. All the information I can find is on being pregnant, not on trying to get pregnant.

Dear Clara:

Your levels of anticardiolipin antibodies are low and should not be causing you any trouble with endocrine function.

CCF Neuro MD
My friend was diagnosed with anticardiolipin. She has had a couple strokes and on the first one she lost vision in her right eye. This first stroke was in March and she is just starting to get her eyesight back. She has just started taking shots of heprin daily and then they are going to put her on cumadin (coumadin). She is very tired and has had irregular MRI's. She also is having
"floaters" in her good eye that may last for about 45 minutes and are quite large and come every few weeks.
She is only 40 years old, has anyone else lost their eye sight and if so has it come back?
Any info would be helpful and I will give it to my friend.
Please email me at:***@****
Thanks!
A related discussion, anti-cardiolipin was started.
A related discussion, heart surgery question was started.
Hi I was diagnosed with anti cardio lipin antibody when I was on my 3rd pregnancy the first two were miscarriages than my dr tested me for it I was young didnt get the numbers or anythn and only took asprin when I was pregnant and havnt gotten checkd or takn asprin for 7 yrs my dr didnt explain how serious this was and I thought I only had it when I would get pregnant. Is this somethn that can go away on its own or am I always goin to have this syndrome. I been havn a pain on my left leg for several months is that related? And I jus feel myself more tired than usuall and my body aches alot can anybody help me my appt is not till dec 2 and im driving myself crazy with all these worries