arachnoid cyst on spinal cord
my 24 year old son had a spinal tumor 2 years ago, after about 5 months he got an arachnoid cyst.  It is under the spine so the doctor said it could not be removed.  They have shunted it 4 times and each time it plugs up.  He is losing control of his legs again.  His surgeon is suppose to be good but he is on medicare.  Is there anything else that could be tried or a doctor that specializes in this?  We could try to get him there.  Please, there must be something for my boy that we are not aware of.  
Hello.

It is a difficult situation you are faced with. Can you mention when was the surgery for the tumor done; and also the site of the arachnoid cyst ?

It looks like the cyst is behind the spinal cord. It is difficult to operate at this position. Aggressive surgical management sometimes helps. You can discuss with his surgeon, a possible option of laminectomy with the current shunt. The laminectomy will help reduce the pressure on the cord and will help resolve some symptoms.

Let me make this clear. This is not a surgical advice. It is just a suggestion you can put up in front his surgeon. Laminectomy is not appropriate for each and every case. The surgeon is the best person to decide if laminectomy is appropriate for your son. It is possible that he might have considered this option already.

Regards
His tumor was removed about 2 years ago.  It has grown back.  Another surgeon is doing surgery Weds.  She is not sure if she can get it all.  The first surgeon never mentioned a laminectomy.  He said he has done all he can.  I have not met the new surgeon yet.  His cyst is in the center of his back. He is all hunched over and cannot stand upright.  Are there surgeons that specialize in cyst?  How do I find them?
Thank you for your response.
Hi.

I do not know any cyst specialists, but a good spine surgeon should be able to remove the cyst. What is more important is that you have communicated well to the new surgeon. And the new surgeon should be able to communicate back to you all the possible options.

Regards