Neurology Community
arachnoid cyst treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

arachnoid cyst treatment

if the arachnoid cyst is treated by draining with a shunt procedure is it possible the cyst will not return ?

This discussion is related to Arachnoid Cyst.
don't know, sorry.
is anybody know?
My goodness.  I need help.  My daughter has been having fevers, between 99.1-101.4 every single day accompanied by headaches.  Is there any other new treatment out there that can cure this problem?  Does anyone know anything about this?
forgot to mentioned that when I took her to er a day ago, an arachnoid cyst measuring 3.0X1.3 was found.
i just had a mri done and they found this arachnoid. im scared and so is my family. what to ?
Does anyone know about ringing in the ears and arachnoid cysts?
I had a blow to the head last year which left me with severe post concussion syndrome. After losing my speech and balance i had a CT scan which then led to MRI scans as it was discovered i have an arachnoid cyst on the left side deep within the brain. I also have suffered since with a constant ringing in my left ear and when tired my balance is slightly 'off' and i veer a little to the left. The blow to my head was at the top left side so as i had no symptoms before this it is assumed that symptoms are from the bang rather than the cyst.
     I too have been told that i have had this since birth...considering i am now nearly 35 i feel there isn't a particular need to worry unduly about it...though obviously the'what if's ' are always there.
     I wanted to post this as there seems to have been lots of previous discussions about arachnoid cysts and seizures, and also the doctors'its not a worry' attitude. I, personally have never suffered a seizure. I am a healthy mum of two and have never had any real health issues. The one thing i do suffer with though is classical migraine. I can't say there is a link because i only started with them at 16 and it is felt i have had the cyst from birth. I have had a few knocks to the head though....so whether or not i got the cyst from one of those and then became a migraine sufferer i dont suppose i will ever know. The way the brain and skull had formed around the cyst suggests its been there from birth. My take on this is that if i have had it all of these years then there is probably not much need to worry. I was discharged from my consultant and told to just get on with my life. So that is what i am trying to do. Most cysts are found by accident which in my mind means there could be hundreds of people who have them and never know so there is no need to worry too much.
     I am going to seek advice about flying though as my cyst is very close to the inner ear nerves so am a little concerned as i have never flown before.
     Hope this may be usefukl or reassuring to someone
I am 17 years old and have just been told I have an arachnoid cyst just above my left ear.
I began to suffer from sevear headaches and migrains when I was 16.
I have been in and out of hospitals due to these migrains as they are sevear and last for long periods of times.
The doctors cannot find an underlying course for them and have just sent me home and put me on strong pain killers.
I cannot help wondering what if the cyst has increased in size or has been irritated and that is why they have only just began occurring.
My biggest problem with these is that their does not seem to be a large amount of research done even though due to how common they apparently are there is a huge population of potetial case studies.
I find that I just want answer for it and the Neurologists don't seem to be able to provide me with it, and people seem to have very similar symptoms and problems as I do, if this is a conscidence it is of a high scale.
I too have an Arachnoid Cyst, put in my thoracic spine. I was likely born with it. I had surgery ... Laminectomy, lamenotomy, fenestration and shut placement in spinal canal. Cyst is from T5-T10. Surgeon chose less invasive surgery and left a residual cyst. Unfortunately surgery helped with any of my pain, but only added a stinging nerve pain. I may have to opt for the additional surgery, but ended up the first time with a spinal headache when the drain suction caused a leak of CSF.
Since my surgery ... found the Arachnoid Cyst Awareness support group. Google it arachnoyd-cyst.com  They give great advice too!!
My brother was diagnosed with a subarachnoid cyst in 2000. Surgeons inserted a shunt with drainage tube into his stomach. Unfortunately, his drainage tube became detached in 2005 and we noticed a deterioration in his memory, confusion and mobility. After another MRI scan it was noted that the cyst had refilled with fluid and he required a further op to drain and replace the shunt.