arachnoid cyst
My son is 23. Has played soccer all his life since age 3.  He had an MRI 1.5 years ago that shows an arachnoid cyst 1.5 X1 Cm.  He is having trouble foccusing on schoolwork, ca literally sleep all the time and has numerous headaches -- he has been treated for depression to no avail, and has had several different drugs prescribed to treat his symptoms.  He also has had a physical injury from pole vaulting in high school which took two years to diagnose and treat.  What do I do first to help him?  I have decided to first eliminate the physical injury stuff and then have another MRI.  If the size of the A. Cyst is unchanged since the last MRI what then?
Wish I could tell you what then, I too have a small Arachnoid cyst they found it by accident because I was struck with vertigo a few years back, I have been on Xanax since then to relieve stress whichcan cause episodes of what the docotrs believed I had which was Meneres disease? (spelling) anyway now my symptoms are "pressure" in my head(not head ache) dizziness, nausia, trouble walking (stumbling and falling over) problems with buzzing or vibration in my ears (they kind of feel full) trouble concentrating (the pressure gets real intense when I try to do my bills or anything that needs me to be focused) and memory problems. I am still searching for answers one Neurologist says I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but when I looked that up none of the symptoms match that disease/ disorder, however I looked up the Arachnioid cystand it list every one of the symptoms I have and then some. I pray that you get to the bottom of your sons problems and hope the best for all of you. God Bless
Hi there.

I'm sorry to here about your son's condition.  I understand that this should be the best time of his life and is plagued by a condition that is very elusive.  If the arachnoid cyst is small, unchanged in size, and is not compressing any vital areas in the brain then I think observation would be the best course of action.  I suggest you should discuss with your neurologist if there are any other conditions that can explain his poor concentration and headaches (migraine perhaps?) since a small cyst may be unlikely to cause this.  

Recovery from physical injuries can really take some time but I understand that for athletes, the effects can really be devastating.  I suggest you acquire professional counseling for him, and let him know that all of you are right behind him in his condition.  I hope he recovers soon. God bless.