Neurology Community
astrocytoma gr 4

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

astrocytoma gr 4

my mother was diagnosed as having astrocytoma grade 4 in feb 2006 and was operated during that month.we are leaving in India near Mumbai(Bombay).She recieved one term of RT and on Tab.prednisolone 10mg bd ,Tab Pnenytoin sod.,Tab acetazolamide etc.since feb 2006 till today(jan 2008).After completion of  RT she had left sided paralysis , then we put her on some Ayurvedic medicine (since one & half years) that is available in our state (Maharashtra) till today. now she is alright doing her daily routine work.She can walk on its own. Her paralysis was completelly cured with allopathy & ayurvedic tratment.and...before daignosis her main complaints was sever headach ,vomitting, decreased vision of right eye for left field,imbalance , giddiness. Today she comlaining decreased vision same as above,facial puffiness,tingling numbness over face.
    MY OQE. IS  
    WHAT ARE THE NEW TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS STAGE OF PATIENTS?
    WHAT ABOUT NEW COMPLAINTS ? ARE THAT BECAUSE OF TABLETS OR DUE TO TO    
    TMOUR ? IS TMOUR IS GROWING? (we havent doneCT Scan or MRI recently)
   I'm sorry to hear your mother has a tumor. I am 31 years old and 21 years ago my mother was diagnosed with an Anaplastic Astrocytoma Grade III. I'm not sure what kind of Astrocytoma she has, it does make a difference, but my mothers kind is rare and mostly occurs in adults in their 50's my mother was in her mid 30's. Anyway with her cancer the prognosis is poor, the survival rate with a full resection is only 20% that the person will live 5 years and with a partial resection 2-3 years. My mother had a partial resection and chemo for many months as recommended, she was told she would be partially paralized for the remainder of her years. It was a long process and she was paralized all the time it came and went but she beat the odds. She just recently hit her 20 year surgery anniversary. Now I admit that it has been a struggle and she is only 57 and it's hard because the tumor is still there and she is having effects of living this long she is in the 1% of people with this tumor now. I'm not telling you this to scare you but to let you know that for years after the surgery there were things that would come and go but that eventually she learned to deal with. Did they do a full resection? What kind of tumor does she have? All you can do is keep asking questions and be there for her and treat the symptoms as they come. Some of the complaints can be due to either the meds or tumor, depends if all the tumor is gone and type. I wish you well and if you need to vent or anything let me know. My prayers are with you.