Neurology Community
aura migraine psychosis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

aura migraine psychosis?

Hi, I´m 33 years old and I´ve been suffering from migraines with aura since I was 10.
I rarely have the typical headache though; these migraines usually consist of aura symptoms (flashes, loss of vision, severe pins and needles in one side of the body, limbs almost paralyzed, pins and needles in my face,...) These episodes usually last between a few hours or half a day. I went to neurologists, took medication, nothing helped (some meds even made it worse), had a brain scan, the lot. Now I don´t take anything anymore, I just grin and bear it till it´s over.
12 days ago, I had one of these typical migraines.
But the day after, when I was taking a hot, relaxing bath, I suddenly went into a state which felt like entering into a dreamworld. It was extremely frightening. I was very conscious, completely aware, but my perception of the surroundings changed. I knew I was in my bathroom, but I didn´t PERCEIVE it like I normally perceive it. Like my brain switched to another mode. And I couldn´t get out of it. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, trapped in a strange world. I got extremely tired too, so decided to go to bed hoping it would pass. But the following morning it was still going on. Very, very freaky. Around noon that day I got another regular migraine attack, and that calmed me down a bit, because then I realised it was part of the aura.
I looked up some stuff on the internet and apparently auras can come in very weird ways, hallucinations and psychosis and all... I´ve never known this. Does anyone here have any experience with this? I am so scared it would happen again. The more information, the better.
I went to the GP but all he said was "don´t put things in your head" and prescribed me tranquilizers.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Yes migraine auras can be strange. Also, you could be suffering from hemiplegic migraines. Also, vitamin D and B12 deficiency should be looked into. Please discuss with your doctor and consult a neurologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you very much for your answer!
We are currently looking around for a good neurologist, since I changed country so I don´t know anyone here yet.
I will definitely ask him or her about the hemiplegic migraine, and about the vitamin deficiencies, since no doctor has ever checked that with me before...
Thank you very much for your time!