Neurology Community
autoimmune autonomic neuropathy
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

autoimmune autonomic neuropathy

Has ANYONE on this forum been dxd with autoimmune autonomic neuropathy (AAN) or know anything at all about it-mainly it's prognosis?  I can't find much info on it (I think it's pretty rare) and nothing on the prognosis, and I feel quite afraid.  I just got back from the Mayo Clinic and was told that this was probably my diagnosis although I had to leave there before getting my test results back or talking to the doctor, so I don't know for sure.  I went up for an MS evaluation but ended up having an autonomic dysfunction work-up (diaphragm, sweat tests, bladder, tilt test) instead.  I already knew I had some autonomic neuropathy because I was just dxd with severe gastroparesis a few months ago (stomach takes forever to empty) and also had Horner's syndrome (left ptosis and small pupil and anhidrosis (stopped sweating) on left side of body) way back in '90-'92-very first thing I had.  Didn't actually get/feel sick until after a RTI in '94, which changed my life forever: weak chest/breathing slowed down, pulse slowed down (in the 50s now) with palpitations on left, felt faint.  Did better for a couple years and then got blurred vision, mouth droop, then another bad infection which brought back all the chest symptoms full-force along with new more neuro-type ones-mild left leg and arm weakness, trouble swallowing, slurred speech, etc.  She also mentioned something about CIDP along with the AAN, but I can't even remember what she said.  It doesn't sound to me like there is any treatment for this other than immunosuppressive drugs or the dreaded plasmapheresis.  Thanks anyone.