Neurology Expert Forum
back fusion complete lower lumbar

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

back fusion complete lower lumbar

I think I lost my first letter.  I recently had a complete fussion on the lower lumbar. Some questions have come up since I had my surgery that at the time did't seem important then.I was in alot of pain at the time. I would like to know more about the screws,cages,an rods in my back. I want to know how long the medical community and manufactures beleive they will last given I do as I am supposed to do. I am 52 and an active person. I do know of one person who has broken screw and one who has a loose one.I know them personally. They are older than me. They haven't had their surgery a full year. I also don't know if they had the cages in their back. I am still under doctors care and just beginning water therapy.  I can't seem to find alot of information on this subject. My doctor's do not live close but I plan to ask them more. I understand that you are limited as to what you an say but I would appreciate your help and advise. I beleive my concerns are necessary to proper recovery  as the other people seem to have had problems, that I hope to avoid. Their doctors were not the same as mine, probably not as involved as mine but the problems are of concern.

Sincerely,  Judy
Dear Judy:

Sorry that you had back surgery.  I hope that things work out well and the surgery is a complete success.  Unfortunately, screws tend to come out and cages get bent.  It is amazing the pressures we put on our spines.  I am uncertain what to tell you about your particular types of screws and the hardware that you have.  I sure that your neurosurgeon knows and he/she would be the best to talk about these issues.  I hear of patients who have had no trouble with their surgeries and also of patients who have all sorts of trouble.  Each case is individual.  I am sorry to that I really can't help much.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
no text
I know this is a reply only section, but I am an almost desperate woman. I hope you'll forgive me for using this to ask a question as I couldn't find the section to post a question. My husband had four previous back injuried that were job related. In 1997, he developed hip, groin, and left leg pain. He went to many doctors here in ******, Ohio but none could seem to pinpoint the problem. In Feb. 2000, he had a spinal fusion surgery due to disc dehydration which was pinching a nerve at L-4, L-5, S-1. His surgery stopped the pain in his legs, but now his employer is saying they aren't responsible for him having DDD. I would like to know where I can find the causes of DDD? We are going to court soon and I want to know as much as possible about this disease. DDD is Degenerative Disc Disease. My husband was 38 when he started having leg pain, hip pain, etc. Previous back injuried were in 88, 90, 93, 94. Any help would be greatly appreciated. His surgery went fine, but he is limited in his mobility and he got fired from his job because of that. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, much appreciated.
Sincerely, ***@****
I work for a very progressive spine group in Kansas City.  We have a web www.thespinepage.com  Hope this may help.  Our docs use the cages and have great success.  Cages by our experiences dont get bent but can rotate if not placed properly.  thx. bc
I am considering undergoing surgery by a doctor trained at cleveland clinic. Can you help me  decide if he's the right choice? ***@****
I'm a 38 yr F  who just had cages and screw placed in my back 1 month ago.At l3-l4  l4-l5  l5-S1  and had to have the spine pulled back into line with screw at these places been doing good so far,except I do still have  left leg pain some,.. My doctor tells me that in 6-12 mths  the screws can be removed.
that's what my second question,,    why take then out after 5 hr of surgrey..  getting them put in
     so far I haven't  been back  to work ,.,,I'm a respiratory  
therapist   and have to walk hospital floor  for the 12hr shift.
          rhonda

I had Screws put in my back (back Fusion) five months ago. I feel 100% better then before sugery. I am 29 years old and felt I was to young for this type of sugery, Because I waited so long I started to loose blatter function and feeling in my left foot.  I feel the number one thing when haveing back sugery if feeling comfortable with your doctor.  Ask alot of questions.  Good luck to all and God bless...     Christy
A related discussion, fusion of the whole lumbar was started.